Ads not shown when logged in
Page 39 of 57 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: PuG Reviews - Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Why thank you, I have never been called a correspondent before!
    You have now and it's NOT cockney rhyming slang!

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    I don't recall the Sports TV but I was sat directly in front of the bar on my most recent visit, so perhaps it was out of my line of vision.
    It happens all the time. Sometimes they are off and you don't even notice them and other times they are so obtrusive you just feel like walking out, eg when the World Cup is on. I was in heaven for a while in Stourbridge's TV free Duke William last Thursday as they were showing the football upstairs and the bar was empty apart from two women in a corner.

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It happens all the time. Sometimes they are off and you don't even notice them and other times they are so obtrusive you just feel like walking out, eg when the World Cup is on. I was in heaven for a while in Stourbridge's TV free Duke William last Thursday as they were showing the football upstairs and the bar was empty apart from two women in a corner.
    If the sound is on mute I don't always notice, unless of course you are in the type of pub where there is a TV screen on every possible surface, and then an extra large projector screen on another wall, just in case you happen to miss one of the other half dozen TVs that surround you...

Just Missed the Round

I would just like to put forward another new reviewer who seems to be racking up the reviews at a rather rapid rate, and who seems to have visited a lot of the same places that I have. His mention of "a curiously charming view of the ring road" from the outside seating area at Wigan Central did raise a smile.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Cock And Seaman

An appropriately smutty last word by Al Bundy on a pub with a smutty name.
    I expect the staff got the sack.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

"In Wigan various people gave me their opinion that it is best to get shut of your teeth as early in life as possible. ‘Teeth is just a misery,’ one woman said to me. In one house where I stayed there were, apart from myself, five people, the oldest being forty-three and the youngest a boy of fifteen. Of these the boy was the only one who possessed a single tooth of his own, and his teeth were obviously not going to last long." - Orwell, 1937

"It did however continue a theme I've noticed a few times in Wigan in that teeth are rather scarce, and not just with the pensioners." - Al Bundy, 2018 (The Berkeley)

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    "In Wigan various people gave me their opinion that it is best to get shut of your teeth as early in life as possible. ‘Teeth is just a misery,’ one woman said to me. In one house where I stayed there were, apart from myself, five people, the oldest being forty-three and the youngest a boy of fifteen. Of these the boy was the only one who possessed a single tooth of his own, and his teeth were obviously not going to last long." - Orwell, 1937

"It did however continue a theme I've noticed a few times in Wigan in that teeth are rather scarce, and not just with the pensioners." - Al Bundy, 2018 (The Berkeley)
    In areas with high poverty, many people used to have all their upper or lower teeth taken out in one go and replaced with dentures. The procedure was sometimes presented to a young man as a 21st birthday present or as a dowry for a young woman before her wedding – the idea being that it would save money on dentistry in the future.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    In areas with high poverty, many people used to have all their upper or lower teeth taken out in one go and replaced with dentures. The procedure was sometimes presented to a young man as a 21st birthday present or as a dowry for a young woman before her wedding – the idea being that it would save money on dentistry in the future.
    My grandmother, in Stoke, had all her teeth out c/o the NHS as soon as it came into being. She would have been about 40 and fed up with toothache and not being able to afford the dentist.

Quite common at the time, apparently.

A thank you to Soupy on the The Keg & Comfort -Facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/kegandcomfort/ .

I am a salmon !!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default Seems no one is impressed here

The Oddfellows Arms

Even after ten years it sounds like one to avoid. Liked Quinno's comment, "The interior, which smelt of boiled cabbages and farts"
    I drink to make others more interesting

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    My grandmother, in Stoke, had all her teeth out c/o the NHS as soon as it came into being. She would have been about 40 and fed up with toothache and not being able to afford the dentist.

Quite common at the time, apparently.
    Yup. Many of my father's eight siblings underwent this procedure.