Ads not shown when logged in
Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 450

Thread: PuG Reviews - Appreciation Thread

  1. #381
    This Space For Hire Aqualung's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Why thank you, I have never been called a correspondent before!
    You have now and it's NOT cockney rhyming slang!

    Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    I don't recall the Sports TV but I was sat directly in front of the bar on my most recent visit, so perhaps it was out of my line of vision.
    It happens all the time. Sometimes they are off and you don't even notice them and other times they are so obtrusive you just feel like walking out, eg when the World Cup is on. I was in heaven for a while in Stourbridge's TV free Duke William last Thursday as they were showing the football upstairs and the bar was empty apart from two women in a corner.

  2. #382
    Just Missed the Round
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It happens all the time. Sometimes they are off and you don't even notice them and other times they are so obtrusive you just feel like walking out, eg when the World Cup is on. I was in heaven for a while in Stourbridge's TV free Duke William last Thursday as they were showing the football upstairs and the bar was empty apart from two women in a corner.
    If the sound is on mute I don't always notice, unless of course you are in the type of pub where there is a TV screen on every possible surface, and then an extra large projector screen on another wall, just in case you happen to miss one of the other half dozen TVs that surround you...

  3. #383
    Just Missed the Round
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    256

    Default

    I would just like to put forward another new reviewer who seems to be racking up the reviews at a rather rapid rate, and who seems to have visited a lot of the same places that I have. His mention of "a curiously charming view of the ring road" from the outside seating area at Wigan Central did raise a smile.

  4. #384
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Cock And Seaman

    An appropriately smutty last word by Al Bundy on a pub with a smutty name.
    I expect the staff got the sack.

  5. #385
    Glass Half Empty Brainypool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Wigan
    Posts
    222

    Default

    "In Wigan various people gave me their opinion that it is best to get shut of your teeth as early in life as possible. ‘Teeth is just a misery,’ one woman said to me. In one house where I stayed there were, apart from myself, five people, the oldest being forty-three and the youngest a boy of fifteen. Of these the boy was the only one who possessed a single tooth of his own, and his teeth were obviously not going to last long." - Orwell, 1937

    "It did however continue a theme I've noticed a few times in Wigan in that teeth are rather scarce, and not just with the pensioners." - Al Bundy, 2018 (The Berkeley)

  6. #386
    Palookaville hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,044

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    "In Wigan various people gave me their opinion that it is best to get shut of your teeth as early in life as possible. ‘Teeth is just a misery,’ one woman said to me. In one house where I stayed there were, apart from myself, five people, the oldest being forty-three and the youngest a boy of fifteen. Of these the boy was the only one who possessed a single tooth of his own, and his teeth were obviously not going to last long." - Orwell, 1937

    "It did however continue a theme I've noticed a few times in Wigan in that teeth are rather scarce, and not just with the pensioners." - Al Bundy, 2018 (The Berkeley)
    In areas with high poverty, many people used to have all their upper or lower teeth taken out in one go and replaced with dentures. The procedure was sometimes presented to a young man as a 21st birthday present or as a dowry for a young woman before her wedding – the idea being that it would save money on dentistry in the future.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

  7. #387
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    In areas with high poverty, many people used to have all their upper or lower teeth taken out in one go and replaced with dentures. The procedure was sometimes presented to a young man as a 21st birthday present or as a dowry for a young woman before her wedding – the idea being that it would save money on dentistry in the future.
    My grandmother, in Stoke, had all her teeth out c/o the NHS as soon as it came into being. She would have been about 40 and fed up with toothache and not being able to afford the dentist.

    Quite common at the time, apparently.

  8. #388
    I Keep Mine Hidden Delboy20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Black Country
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    A thank you to Soupy on the The Keg & Comfort -Facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/kegandcomfort/ .


    I am a salmon !!

  9. #389
    Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Horndean, Hants
    Posts
    1,859

    Default Seems no one is impressed here

    The Oddfellows Arms

    Even after ten years it sounds like one to avoid. Liked Quinno's comment, "The interior, which smelt of boiled cabbages and farts"
    I drink to make others more interesting

  10. #390
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    My grandmother, in Stoke, had all her teeth out c/o the NHS as soon as it came into being. She would have been about 40 and fed up with toothache and not being able to afford the dentist.

    Quite common at the time, apparently.
    Yup. Many of my father's eight siblings underwent this procedure.

Similar Threads

  1. 1,000th Thread
    By Millay in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 18:46
  2. Beer Review - Cumbrian Beer Appreciation Group November Meal
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 12:11
  3. The Olympics Thread
    By Strongers in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16-03-2011, 14:59
  4. Moan of the Day thread
    By Alesonly in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2010, 19:09
  5. Cooking Lager - Tutored Lout Appreciation
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-05-2010, 11:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •