Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 368

Thread: PuG Reviews - Appreciation Thread

  1. #21
    Baum Quality Supervisor ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    4,425

    Default

    "Met Rob Camra one night, a typical real ale fella, wooly jumper, and big beard that looked like there was a bird living in it and very look down his nose at you attitude".

    No he didn't and I suspect he's the landlord of Three Terriers which I was rather unflattering about.

    That'll help keep me incognito for a while though.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  2. #22
    Baum Quality Supervisor ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    4,425

    Default

    Bar/cafe that's family friendly during the day( website says children aloud till 6pm).

    Parlour

    Freudian slip by Hondo there I think.

    They are noisy little sods though.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  3. #23
    Palookaville hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,536

    Default

    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

  4. #24
    Glass Half Empty
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    SW London
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Even Quinno is prone to the occasional freudian slip:

    '...this is one of those hidden gem pubs that you don't expect to exit...'

    http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24447

    There seems to be something slightly odd going on with the history though, as the review thinks it's dated 30.12.09 but the history thinks it was posted five days ago. There seem to have been several like this recently.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

  5. #25
    Inndigestion Strongers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South Downs
    Posts
    1,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    Even Quinno is prone to the occasional freudian slip:

    '...this is one of those hidden gem pubs that you don't expect to exit...'

    http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/24447

    There seems to be something slightly odd going on with the history though, as the review thinks it's dated 30.12.09 but the history thinks it was posted five days ago. There seem to have been several like this recently.
    I suspect that Quinno has migrated that review from another pub review site and changed the date on the review to reflect when he actually visited to keep the reviews in chronological order.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

  6. #26
    Glass Half Empty
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    SW London
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I suspect that Quinno has migrated that review from another pub review site and changed the date on the review to reflect when he actually visited to keep the reviews in chronological order.
    Of course, didn't think of that. Dopey of me!
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

  7. #27
    Please give generously Quinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I suspect that Quinno has migrated that review from another pub review site and changed the date on the review to reflect when he actually visited to keep the reviews in chronological order.
    Yeah, I have 250-odd old pubs on the 'to-do' list, many of which date from my hiatus period between sites. I still took notes though and I am now using my spares on the mass migrate tool (200-odd from Reading!) to get these done. Deciphering three-year old notes on scraps of paper, often written when tipsy, is proving to be a bit of a challenge so some of them will be a little more short and terse than usual.

  8. #28
    Please give generously Quinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,246

    Default

    And back on topic, I like Ray's review of The Ale Wagon, especially this bit:

    "...don't expect much in the way of please and thanks. I would visit again for the beer and the fact it was like visiting the Fawlty Towers of pubs"

    BASIL!!!

  9. #29
    Inndigestion Strongers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    South Downs
    Posts
    1,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Yeah, I have 250-odd old pubs on the 'to-do' list, many of which date from my hiatus period between sites. I still took notes though and I am now using my spares on the mass migrate tool (200-odd from Reading!) to get these done. Deciphering three-year old notes on scraps of paper, often written when tipsy, is proving to be a bit of a challenge so some of them will be a little more short and terse than usual.
    So you had a year off but didn't?
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

  10. #30
    Please give generously Quinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    So you had a year off but didn't?
    Yep - I suspected that I would end up here but wanted to see how things panned out as I didn't want a BITE Mk#2 scenario. I felt like I'd wasted a lot of time over the other side and my morale was quite low. I thought a year or so would be enough to see if the good things I'd heard about PuG were a long-term reality rather than a flash in the pan so I kept taking notes and thought that, if PuG didn't work out I'd simply write a blog for my reviews and pix instead. Happily, it's the former. This site has made big strides over the last couple of years and I think we're on the cusp of the tipping point where we start to get traffic generated by word of mouth, the fact that the quality of reviews are better and that, most importantly, the database accuracy is streets ahead. Fingers crossed....
    Last edited by Quinno; 11-01-2012 at 16:17.

Similar Threads

  1. 1,000th Thread
    By Millay in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-09-2012, 19:46
  2. Beer Review - Cumbrian Beer Appreciation Group November Meal
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 13:11
  3. The Olympics Thread
    By Strongers in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16-03-2011, 15:59
  4. Moan of the Day thread
    By Alesonly in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2010, 20:09
  5. Cooking Lager - Tutored Lout Appreciation
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25-05-2010, 12:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •