Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PuG Reviews - Appreciation Thread

Hybrid View

Default PuG Reviews - Appreciation Thread

It's long overdue that we had a thread where we can give a little bit of kudos to our dedicated band of pub reviewers.

Inspired in part by Hondo's admiration for RogerB's review of the Garrick Arms,

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    "the pub did hit the headlines a few years ago when ex Blue Peter presenter turned DJ Richard Bacon famously got a pasting in the bogs downstairs"
    Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    if i rated pubs that would certainly merit a bonus point
    it would be good to use this thread to highlight those reviews that make us laugh, cry or, more importantly, drop everything and get to the pub in question.

To get us started, how about this understaement from the recent Nottingham get together c/o Soupy:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    ""The service was fine and the clientele consisted of a load of studenty females that could model for England and a group of pubs galore people that could model for Wetherspoons."

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

i think i would raise my hat to another reviewer local to myself, whose reviews are exceptional. I haven't seen him on the forum (or her!) - Ale Monster, take a bow.

I have read some great comments over the past few years and from now on will make a point of mentioning the bits that make me chuckle
    MILD:

I was just about to write my review of the William IV in Truro, when i came upon this, from the pen of our learned Quinno...

"The food was good, though watch out for the volcanic rock dishes where they bring out a super-heated pumice stone and allow you to cook your own seafood/steak - one chap went for the steak and spilt a load of jalapeƱo sauce over the plate which sent a billow of tear gas-style smoke up in the air and prompted a mass evacuation of the place because we were all coughing, our throats were on fire and tears were streaming out of our eyes. One of the odder things that's ever happened to me in a pub".

Now, how do i follow that?
    MILD:

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I would like to congratulate Pubsignman for his thorough review of The White Horse and especially his humourous line

There is Palace memorabilia everywhere including lots of framed shirts and signed photos and this was rather bizarrely supplemented by numerous Laurel and Hardy figurines, which, for all I know, could be a satirical swipe at Palace's current striking partnership

Even as a Palace fan I had a little laugh at that.

The Scarecrow

"The lady manager was busy having a break outside the restaurant but took time out to introduce me to the many exits to the pub and the restaurant."

Not so much appreciation as amusement. Do you think she wanted him to leave.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    The Scarecrow

Do you think she wanted him to leave.
    he gave it a 10 - evidently the classiest place he was been thron out of!
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    c/o Soupy:

""The service was fine and the clientele consisted of a load of studenty females that could model for England and a group of pubs galore people that could model for Wetherspoons."
    Dirty old man!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steptoe460.jpg 
Views:	645 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	668
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 19-11-2011 at 22:00.
    Waes hael!

One of my favourite Soup D reviews included the following comment:

"The clientele is unique. A microcosm. An agglomeration of: decent people, the best of Bedlam, the f***ing Tourette's Society and scrapings from the tank at the Sea-Life Centre"

but we still reminisce about the reviewer who didn't like Soupy's review about another place and responded with:

"I completely disagree! Lovely pub with friendly staff and the best pint of Carling for miles around"

and followed it up in her next review (since deleted by Admin) by calling him a douche bag. Recognition indeed.
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    It's long overdue that we had a thread where we can give a little bit of kudos to our dedicated band of pub reviewers.
    Seems a good idea to me PSM, although I've a vague memory of this being touched on before? (Did a quick search, but couldn't find the thread.)
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Subtlety and humour from Quinno:

"Some of the punters seem more suited for a tourettes clinic, especially if the football's on."

Well it is Reading,