Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer List

Default Beer List

As WhatPub reported that the Goat Tavern in Mayfair had ceased selling real ale I duly amended the pub's facilities accordingly. However I notice that on the pub's page there's a beer list of some 30 real ales with prices. I've never seen such a list before. I don't believe for one minute that this pub ever sold 30 beers at any one time (doesn't look like the sort of pub to have a beer festival) so what is the list doing there? The beer range at almost any pub will change, sometimes on a daily basis, - as will the prices. But maybe I'm missing something; I wonder what.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    As WhatPub reported that the Goat Tavern in Mayfair had ceased selling real ale I duly amended the pub's facilities accordingly. However I notice that on the pub's page there's a beer list of some 30 real ales with prices. I've never seen such a list before. I don't believe for one minute that this pub ever sold 30 beers at any one time (doesn't look like the sort of pub to have a beer festival) so what is the list doing there? The beer range at almost any pub will change, sometimes on a daily basis, - as will the prices. But maybe I'm missing something; I wonder what.
    If this place really did sell 30 cask beers at one time, then surely it would be a Goat-to destination. I doubt any pub has sold 30 cask beers simultaneously unless it's a subsidiary of Sarson's. I don't know how to add/delete beers from this list, but I imagine it must be some compendium of past offerings?

I wondered if it was a list of past offerings - but why bother? I didn't know it was possible to record such a list on here. You could put it in a review of course, but this list isn't in a review. You're right it - it would be a Goat-to destination pub. It would also undoubtedly be in the GBG - the Goat Beer Guide.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I wondered if it was a list of past offerings - but why bother? I didn't know it was possible to record such a list on here. You could put it in a review of course, but this list isn't in a review. You're right it - it would be a Goat-to destination pub. It would also undoubtedly be in the GBG - the Goat Beer Guide.
    I know. I don't see the point. And why does £5.45 Timothy Taylor Landlord (4.3%) have the ABV in parenthesis? And why the prices, as if they are fixed for all time?

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Those lists seemed to stop updating a few years ago, probably should be removed if a quick fix is out of the question.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    Those lists seemed to stop updating a few years ago, probably should be removed if a quick fix is out of the question.
    I've seen a few pubs with those lists, but not many. My best guess is that it was a feature that was piloted, but not taken forward, for whatever reason.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I've seen a few pubs with those lists, but not many. My best guess is that it was a feature that was piloted, but not taken forward, for whatever reason.
    They were definitely working for Wetherspoons pubs for a short while.

This Space For Hire

I don't see said list, which bit am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I don't see said list, which bit am I missing?
    I switched it off.

I had a script that hooked into the ordering apps for some pubs and picked up the beer lists. Most of the scripts went a bit crazy and didn't work as hoped, it appears I forgot to turn the feature off for some pubcos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I switched it off.

Most of the scripts went a bit crazy and didn't work as hoped
    What a shame! It was a great idea.
    Come On You Hatters!