Ads not shown when logged in
Page 44 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: PuG Reviews - Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Thanks - I loved the pub and was really surprised to find that it hadn't been more widely reviewed. I think I had it on my 'to do' list after reading your comments about the pub somewhere else on the forum, so cheers for the indirect recommendation! I tend to reserve a score of ten for pubs that have stood up to repeat visits or at the very least, an extended session, but I only stopped here for the one pint and a quick bite to eat, so it'll have to make do with a 9 until I next find myself out that way.

Funnily enough, I'd planned to visit the Blue Ship just a couple of weeks ago, but got a bit sidetracked on the way and ended up doing a couple of pubs in Rusper instead - it sounds like another rural classic, so hopefully I'll make it out there sometime soon.
    It's such a shame that Brakspear, Ridley and K&B are no longer independent breweries as the three of them had so many great unspoilt pubs in the middle of nowhere. I remember once encountering another cycling party at Warren Row near Henley that included Graham Lees and Frank Baillie. If younger viewers are shouting "Who They?" then I'm sure someone can tell them.
    As an aside, I've just come back from a visit to South Wales and I haven't been able to get out of my head that my "getting your 10 paddle out" is a classic Finbarr Saunders line. It wasn't intended!! Scores on pubs are totally subjective and depend on so many external factors that they can become meaningless. Xmas shoppers and drinkers are going to make most pubs "score of shame" contenders until next year.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    Our friends in Ongar don't frequent any of their local pubs anyway, if they even went out once a week it would help.
    Nothing to do with the scorpions?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    I've been in the King William outside Braintree, had a beer festival on when we were there too.
    Snap!
    With the demise of Ridleys the Braintree area is by and large a waste of time but Gray's houses are usually worth a look. The Cock at Ongar is the closest one to London.

This Space For Hire

The Wine Bar

Must admit I've never been one to habituate German brothels, maybe I should make a trip to the Wine Bar so I know what to expect should life ever take me that way.

This Space For Hire

Katzenjammers

Steve's comparison between British and German barmaids made me smile!

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Katzenjammers

Steve's comparison between British and German barmaids made me smile!
    Just looked at the page on PUG.Doesn't the photo show the entrance of Becky's Dive Bar of traumatised memory?
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Just looked at the page on PUG.Doesn't the photo show the entrance of Becky's Dive Bar of traumatised memory?
    Becky's was certainly in the basement of the Hop Exchange but there is some doubt as to whether it was what is now Katzenjammers or the Sheaf next door. I certainly can't remember, as the entrances looked pretty similar.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Becky's was certainly in the basement of the Hop Exchange but there is some doubt as to whether it was what is now Katzenjammers or the Sheaf next door. I certainly can't remember, as the entrances looked pretty similar.
    So there's 3 of us here that remember Becky's. One thing I can definitely remember about the place was that thr descent into Hell down the rickety staircase covered by the hopelessly ramshackle carpet was on the right (facing the bar) side of the building.. The bar area was over to the left. I'm not sure if the stairs were actually on the right wall.

Nearby, Quinno raised a point about the name of the Prince William Henry in his review. Both this place and the Founders Arms replaced older probably Victorian pubs. The original PWH was a corner pub with windows that looked like they may have been installed by Charrington brewery. I attended the lunchtime opening of the new pub. I don't recall getting much free drink but there were plenty of nibbles.

I only went to the original Founders once, it may have been replaced before the PWH. It was away from the river and was the HQ for one of the SPBW branches. It was everything the vast majority of Young's pubs no longer are.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    So there's 3 of us here that remember Becky's. One thing I can definitely remember about the place was that thr descent into Hell down the rickety staircase covered by the hopelessly ramshackle carpet was on the right (facing the bar) side of the building.. The bar area was over to the left. I'm not sure if the stairs were actually on the right wall.

Nearby, Quinno raised a point about the name of the Prince William Henry in his review. Both this place and the Founders Arms replaced older probably Victorian pubs. The original PWH was a corner pub with windows that looked like they may have been installed by Charrington brewery. I attended the lunchtime opening of the new pub. I don't recall getting much free drink but there were plenty of nibbles.

I only went to the original Founders once, it may have been replaced before the PWH. It was away from the river and was the HQ for one of the SPBW branches. It was everything the vast majority of Young's pubs no longer are.
    Seems like you guys had fun:

https://boakandbailey.com/2012/07/be...bar-southwark/

http://ohdearohdearishallbelate.blog...-dive-bar.html

The best 'worst' experience in London that I can thoroughly recommend before it gets demolished is a trip to Bradley's Spanish Bar
    Last edited by Tris39; 03-12-2019 at 16:56.

There's a clue in the comments on the above about what resides where Becky's was. The opening of the Wheatsheaf is mentioned on the former premises of Becky's Dive Bar.