Ads not shown when logged in
Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: PuG Reviews - Appreciation Thread

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Not from these pages, but a cracking tripadvisor review of the Tickell Arms, not far from today's target in Duxford...

"The Tickell will come as a surprise (shock?) to those who remember The Tickell Arms under the eccentric proprietorship of The Squire, ‘Kim’ Joseph Hollick De La Taste Tickell. No loud Wagner; no banning of t-shirts and men with ear rings; no Lady Bracknellesque, ‘We don’t serve things in baaags!’ to a request for a packet of crisps. And a shock too to those who visited in more recent years and were charmed by both its quirky, shabby gentility and inventive food. After a major makeover visitors now find clean, calm orderliness and good food, with which regular diners at the cambscuisine’s other restaurants are familiar. Chatter, clinking cutlery and, on summer nights, the tinkling fountain have replaced the Ride of the Valkyries. Going to the loo is not the challenge it once was. It’s progress of a sort – you can dine well and won’t run the being insulted or tripping on a loose carpet, but it’s no longer the distinctively memorable experience it once was"

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

Mr Mapp's review of The Wavendon Arms did raise a smile...

"Doom bar and TT Landlord on. I asked for the Landlord. The waitress said "I'm just a waitress". I asked again and she said "Do you want me to fetch the Landlord".

I resorted to pointing."

Quote Originally Posted by Brainypool View Post
    Mr Mapp's review of The Wavendon Arms did raise a smile...

"Doom bar and TT Landlord on. I asked for the Landlord. The waitress said "I'm just a waitress". I asked again and she said "Do you want me to fetch the Landlord".

I resorted to pointing."
    Excellent. You couldn't make it up.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

The Quick Brown Fox

This review from Al really made me chuckle
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

I was delighted to see that PSM had posted a review for this pub. I was also disappointed to note that this was the only PUG review since my review over five years ago. PSM clearly loved the place but I would say it was a pinch better in Ridley days, although to me the Ridley's Rite is an exact copy of their old Bitter/IPA. My one point to PSM is that surely this was a time to get his 10 paddle out?
    Anyone using Stansted Airport by car may like to note that they have built an accommodation block nearby and most beers are low abv so you shouldn't have to worry about driving the next day.
    Anyone want a tip for another great country pub not yet reviewed by PUG? How about this one? It was one of King & Barnes best, many would say THE best. It's in the middle of nowhere and I haven't been there in over 25 years so have no idea if Badger have spoilt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I was delighted to see that PSM had posted a review for this pub. I was also disappointed to note that this was the only PUG review since my review over five years ago. PSM clearly loved the place but I would say it was a pinch better in Ridley days, although to me the Ridley's Rite is an exact copy of their old Bitter/IPA. My one point to PSM is that surely this was a time to get his 10 paddle out?
    Anyone using Stansted Airport by car may like to note that they have built an accommodation block nearby and most beers are low abv so you shouldn't have to worry about driving the next day.
    Anyone want a tip for another great country pub not yet reviewed by PUG? How about this one? It was one of King & Barnes best, many would say THE best. It's in the middle of nowhere and I haven't been there in over 25 years so have no idea if Badger have spoilt it.
    They look very interesting Aqualung, I really like old pubs with history. We have friends in Ongar and are due to visit in the next few months, so will make a point of getting to that one. I've been to quite a few rural Essex pubs and found them excellent
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 12-11-2019 at 19:58.
    Brendan Behan

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    They look very interesting Aqualung, I really like old pubs with history. We have friends in Ongar and are due to visit in the next few months, so will make a point of getting to that one. I've been to quite a few rural Essex pubs and found them excellent
    The old Ridley estate was fantastic. Like Brakspear all their best pubs were slap bang in the middle of nowhere. Also like Brakspear closures started early. I never made it to the Pretty Lady at Ranks Green although I knew people who had, just as I never made it to Ye Lion in Henley. The only other former Ridley pub I can think of worth visiting is the King William in a satellite housing area outside Braintree. All the other good ones are either gastro/restaurants or permanently gone.
    As for Ongar itself I've been to lots of pubs in and around the town but the best ones seem to have gone. The Stag (which is actually at Marden Ash but let's not go down that route!) is McMullens and was OK back in the day. The Viper near Mill Green was a Truman's pub and a great place that I really enjoyed when the brewery brought back real ale. It's inaccessible by public transport unless you're prepared for a long walk. The obvious venue near Ongar was the Moletrap which has sadly closed. Considering it is only a few miles from Theydon Bois tube station and very near the M25 it was hopelessly remote. I've heard stories of people getting completely lost trying to find it! It was a McMullen pub but they sold off most of their smaller outlets in the 1990s. I did notice that Admiral Sir Bucking Fastard had been there. Now what canal trip could that have been part of???
    Of course, there is also a newish JDW down in Brentwood.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

[QUOTE=Aqualung;103828] The obvious venue near Ongar was the Moletrap which has sadly closed. I did notice that Admiral Sir Bucking Fastard had been there. Now what canal trip could that have been part of???
    [QUOTE]

Nearest navigation is the River Lee but that's not how I got to The Moletrap .It's not far from Kelvedon Hatch Secret Nuclear Bunker (not very secret these days) which was always a fun day out,and with a trusty satnav this pub was in easy striking distance.Sad it has gone.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

The old Ridley estate was fantastic. Like Brakspear all their best pubs were slap bang in the middle of nowhere. Also like Brakspear closures started early. I never made it to the Pretty Lady at Ranks Green although I knew people who had, just as I never made it to Ye Lion in Henley. The only other former Ridley pub I can think of worth visiting is the King William in a satellite housing area outside Braintree. All the other good ones are either gastro/restaurants or permanently gone.
    As for Ongar itself I've been to lots of pubs in and around the town but the best ones seem to have gone. The Stag (which is actually at Marden Ash but let's not go down that route!) is McMullens and was OK back in the day. The Viper near Mill Green was a Truman's pub and a great place that I really enjoyed when the brewery brought back real ale. It's inaccessible by public transport unless you're prepared for a long walk. The obvious venue near Ongar was the Moletrap which has sadly closed. Considering it is only a few miles from Theydon Bois tube station and very near the M25 it was hopelessly remote. I've heard stories of people getting completely lost trying to find it! It was a McMullen pub but they sold off most of their smaller outlets in the 1990s. I did notice that Admiral Sir Bucking Fastard had been there. Now what canal trip could that have been part of???
    Of course, there is also a newish JDW down in Brentwood.
    I've been in the King William outside Braintree, gave it a 10 I liked it that much. Great pub, had a beer festival on when we were there too. It's definitely one I'd like to revisit at some stage

Our friends in Ongar don't frequent any of their local pubs anyway, if they even went out once a week it would help. These pubs can't stay going if the locals don't bother to get out and use them!
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 13-11-2019 at 18:59.
    Brendan Behan

Thanks - I loved the pub and was really surprised to find that it hadn't been more widely reviewed. I think I had it on my 'to do' list after reading your comments about the pub somewhere else on the forum, so cheers for the indirect recommendation! I tend to reserve a score of ten for pubs that have stood up to repeat visits or at the very least, an extended session, but I only stopped here for the one pint and a quick bite to eat, so it'll have to make do with a 9 until I next find myself out that way.

Funnily enough, I'd planned to visit the Blue Ship just a couple of weeks ago, but got a bit sidetracked on the way and ended up doing a couple of pubs in Rusper instead - it sounds like another rural classic, so hopefully I'll make it out there sometime soon.