Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Autovax

Horrified after reading through this thread. Its like recycling food off other peoples plates. I am a nosey type who often sits at the bar to see what goes on behind it.Bye and large I have never been impressed by the sanitary habits of bar staff. Since I dont get around so much these days I have noticed less stomach upsets bother me.I also use handgell, must be going paranoid again.

Its put me right of my pint.......tea anyone ?

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Horrified after reading through this thread.
    Although I was partly re-assured by 'Crosste's' post, on balance I still feel a little uneasy about them. I must admit I googled the topic and found this discussion on Tandleman's blog:

http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.co.../auotvacs.html
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Enjoyed reading that blog. Pretty much saying the same as the various comments on here now. And that was a couple of years ago.

Not a lot changes. I don't feel happy about paying £3 plus for a pint of anything that is not the beer I thought it would be though.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Although I was partly re-assured by 'Crosste's' post, on balance I still feel a little uneasy about them. I must admit I googled the topic and found this discussion on Tandleman's blog:

http://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.co.../auotvacs.html
    Typical Yorkshire eh!? Having said that, I enjoyed a few pints that must have come through this system last week.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Another few facts to add to this thread.

2 methods of recovering beer: the Tun dish (or dolphin) which is a funnel above the barrel with a filter and the AutoVac. This is also known as an economiser and for those of you in Scotland it is also known as a Mc Glashan beer recovering dispenser. Lesson over.

Apparently there is a third, for when the first few pints of a fresh barrel are drawn through a beer line into a bucket. This fresh beer is then readmitted to the beer line by a beer conserver . This is just a vessel connected to a special valve in the beer line running from the cask to the pump. As a pint is drawn a set amount of the vessel's contents are also pulled into the beer. Admittedly I have never heard of this, but CAMRA's book on Cellarmanship describes it so. It goes on to state that there is nothing stopping the unscrupulous practice of watering down the beer using this device.

Anyone had the misfortune to come across this particluar horror?

got to love the names economiser & beer conserver aye right
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

If I have 8 pints in a decent boozer I'll wake up in the morning with a heavy head, but whenever I go on a crawl of an area's different pubs I always (without fail) have fidgety guts for a couple of hours in the morning. That is with or without a doner.

Maybe I'm slowly being poisoned!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    If I have 8 pints in a decent boozer I'll wake up in the morning with a heavy head, but whenever I go on a crawl of an area's different pubs I always (without fail) have fidgety guts for a couple of hours in the morning. That is with or without a doner.

Maybe I'm slowly being poisoned!
    Yes Ive had that trouble this morning after yesterdays Pub crawl in St Albans Must have been one of the 10 Pints I had.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    Yes Ive had that trouble this morning after yesterdays Pub crawl in St Albans Must have been one of the 10 Pints I had.
    I only had one pint of Fursty Ferret at lunchtime yesterday, at a location in Surrey

Was it the pig in blanket I scoffed at RHS Wisley or the Fursty Ferret that caused this mornings troubles?