Ads not shown when logged in
Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: IPA's - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I'm probably showing my ignorance, and will not be allowed to visit a beer blog again, but what's the difference between a (New style) IPA and an American Pale Ale? Both have that tooth enamel removing quality that has suddenly become popular. I had a reasonable APA from Hop Fuzz of West Hythe the other day. Grapefruit, that sort of thing.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I'm probably showing my ignorance, and will not be allowed to visit a beer blog again, but what's the difference between a (New style) IPA and an American Pale Ale? Both have that tooth enamel removing quality that has suddenly become popular. I had a reasonable APA from Hop Fuzz of West Hythe the other day. Grapefruit, that sort of thing.
    This is something I have pondered and given the vagueness of the IPA tag I honestly believe there is no difference other than presumably APAs are made with American Hops. I'm happy to be corrected on this but APAs are simply a result of the exploding craft beer scene in the USA. They are based on the original IPA premise of a strong heavily hopped beer that will survive a long ship journey.

Many of the new "craft" brewers deliver their wares in a sweaty Transit Van, which I suspect has caused problems during this warm summer.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    This is something I have pondered and given the vagueness of the IPA tag I honestly believe there is no difference other than presumably APAs are made with American Hops. I'm happy to be corrected on this but APAs are simply a result of the exploding craft beer scene in the USA. They are based on the original IPA premise of a strong heavily hopped beer that will survive a long ship journey.

Many of the new "craft" brewers deliver their wares in a sweaty Transit Van, which I suspect has caused problems during this warm summer.
    If the craft beer is delivered in kegs you have no problems its that real ale stuff you have to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    If the craft beer is delivered in kegs you have no problems its that real ale stuff you have to worry about.
    If it comes in kegs I won't drink it!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    They are more or less the same thing. American pale ale must have only American hops in it .Ipa,s are heavily hopped .Any hop will do but if you only use American hops its really an American pale.But the brewer can call it what he wants. Its only if you enter it into a International beer contest that it would be put in a specific category.Or so I think

I can't agree with that unless it's full blown filtered and pasteurised keg. The unpasteurised keykeg stuff will still get a big kicking by being left in a hot place for a long time.

I'll stay on me own

In nearly all of my pub visits over the years i rarely get a bad half,i must be very lucky or more that likely dont know as much about beer as most on this site.

If we have to worry about real ales and not keg crap,the big brewers should bring back craft Worthington E and craft Watneys red barrel and they could charge £8.00 a pint,i think they are missing a trick here.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    In nearly all of my pub visits over the years i rarely get a bad half,i must be very lucky or more that likely dont know as much about beer as most on this site.

If we have to worry about real ales and not keg crap,the big brewers should bring back craft Worthington E and craft Watneys red barrel and they could charge £8.00 a pint,i think they are missing a trick here.
    Have you never had the first one out of the pump when it comes out really warm? I have on many occasions and to me that is a bad pint.

Spoons get around it in most of their pubs by surrounding the lines leading up to the bar in a cooling jacket which is also why some people complain about Spoons serving beer too cold. I would rather have it too cold than luke warm, especially with the hot weather we've had this year.
    I've also had far more beers than normal not at their best this summer which I put down to the heat as well as some that are on the turn and one that was completely rank that I had to send back (in a GBG Spoons).

Another thing is that the weather in London tends to be much warmer during hot weather than even the Home Counties, let alone the Midlands and the frozen North.

You can't really compare the likes of the keg beer from the sixties and seventies or even the modern equivalent which is all lager or smoothflow with the new keg stuff. Those beers would have been rubbish even if they were produced for cask. I agree it can be a rip-off but I was happy to pay £6 for a pint of Mikkeler's 18.9% Big Worster last Friday even though I did end up overcooking my dinner afterwards.

The King William keykeg prices are rising to rip-off levels soon, so my keykeg tasting days are nearly over.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I can't agree with that unless it's full blown filtered and pasteurised keg. The unpasteurised keykeg stuff will still get a big kicking by being left in a hot place for a long time.
    As there is no yeast in key kegs they are much less affected by heat than cask beer.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post

I get lots of iffy beers more so this summer than in the past.Went into the Goat -Fulwell last night for a meal.Only one beer on Goat dark bitter. Staff were unable to tell me who brewed it but gave me a large taster.Warm vinegar was my reply to the barmaid query as to what I thought.Pint of Loewenbrau -pilsner was pure quality.