Ads not shown when logged in
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Bottled Beer Bargain Alert

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of bottled beer, much preferring a pint in the pub. However, this latest offering from M&S is excellent. Brewed by Adnams, under their Jack Brand arm, it's a wonderfully aromatic pale ale, with a long, lingering finish. OK, it's not particularly a bargain, but for something this good I don't mind paying top dollar. Adnams sell their own version, in 330ml bottles, but the M&S ones are 500ml. More info here:

http://adnams.co.uk/beer/our-beers/j...saic-pale-ale/

http://www.marksandspencer.com/mosai...le/p/p60060818

This was my BOTW a few weeks ago in the Spoons George at Wanstead. Adnams are doing some fantastic things and this is one that wasn't just for Spoons. It's a shame that the one beer that they brew and that I don't really care for (it's boring!) is Broadside and it's so widespread.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    This was my BOTW a few weeks ago in the Spoons George at Wanstead. Adnams are doing some fantastic things and this is one that wasn't just for Spoons. It's a shame that the one beer that they brew and that I don't really care for (it's boring!) is Broadside and it's so widespread.
    I knew someone else had been waxing lyrical about Adnams and suspected it was you. Would love to try Mosaic on cask, if it's fresh it must be superb. Agree with your point about Adnams, they really have grasped the nettle and moved with the times, producing some superb beers.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Had a tired Mosaic a few weeks back:interesting flavour, but no condition.I've got a lot of time for Adnam's:we go back a very long way.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

No doubt because of the world cup looming Asda have upped their 3 for £5 offer to 4 for £5.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

My local Tesco which is a large one but not an "Extra" is selling the Marston's Revisionist beers at £1.25 a bottle. I've tried the 4.2% Red and today got some 4.7% Steam and 5.0% Lager. This isn't a Special Offer, a Multibuy or a Line Clearance so I can't say if Marston's have not been Crafty enough with this range. They are 500ml bottles rather than the dinky bottles for the boring looking GK range which are being sold at £1.79. I thought the Red was a decent beer and given that it didn't have the Marston's sulphury taste made me wonder if it was brewes by Banks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    My local Tesco which is a large one but not an "Extra" is selling the Marston's Revisionist beers at £1.25 a bottle. I've tried the 4.2% Red and today got some 4.7% Steam and 5.0% Lager. This isn't a Special Offer, a Multibuy or a Line Clearance so I can't say if Marston's have not been Crafty enough with this range. They are 500ml bottles rather than the dinky bottles for the boring looking GK range which are being sold at £1.79. I thought the Red was a decent beer and given that it didn't have the Marston's sulphury taste made me wonder if it was brewes by Banks.
    The 4.7% steam is rather unpleasant. It has a sweet toffee like flavour. The lager is OK.

This Space For Hire

The Swift Putney sw London a Fullers pub has 3 bottled Sam Smiths beers all at £4.65 rather than the £5.50 Sam Smiths pubs charge. Result? Also if you sign up to their news letter you get a voucher for a free pint.Keg only.I had Black Cab Stout. Double result. yeah ? I then paid for a horrible pint of London Fields -Love not war.Bit of an own goal methinks.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Plenty on offer at Asda online - 4 for £5, incl some 6% stuff, Old Pec, Old Bob, sadly no McEwans Champion this year.
    I've put in a decent mixed order and await the short-delivery on Monday (usually get about 55% of orders of beer/wine - why the heck can't it be ring-fenced at point of order??).

My local Tesco (a fairly large branch but not an Extra) was doing 500ml bottles of Shep's Xmas Ale (7.0%) today at a quid each. As I picked up a couple of bottles I almost smiled but it quickly turned into a grimace as I remembered I'd forked out a fiver for four Marston's bottles a few hours earlier in ASDA.
    Not only is it ridiculously cheap but I don't recall seeing it before.

Spritzer Swallower

Tesco continuously have great deals on a pretty good selection of ales. I constantly snap up a few bottles of whatever there is on offer, often without ever having tried it. It's always nice to try something new and it's very rare that I find a beer I don't like enough not to drink it!