Ads not shown when logged in
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Bottled Beer Bargain Alert

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Full list appears in The Grocer (I headed that way after a tip-off from Boak & Bailey).

Just got to find them now - my recollection from last year is that they put them in a dark corner alongside the pumpkins or whatever stuff they're half-heartedly "promoting" this week.
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

This Space For Hire

Tesco in west london have Youngs -double chocolate stout at £1.50 a bottle.never saw it in the big supermarkets before and usually £4.50 in pubs if you can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Tesco in west london have Youngs -double chocolate stout at £1.50 a bottle.never saw it in the big supermarkets before and usually £4.50 in pubs if you can find it.
    I bought 4 bottles of this for six quid in Tesco earlier in the year. My recollection of this beer from many years ago was that it had an ABV of 5.5% and that was on draught. The bottled ABV was 5.1% or 5.2%.

I found the bottled version very sweet and won't be getting any more of them from Tesco.

Try the Fuller's ESB or 1849 on multibuy for a much better beer.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I bought 4 bottles of this for six quid in Tesco earlier in the year. My recollection of this beer from many years ago was that it had an ABV of 5.5% and that was on draught. The bottled ABV was 5.1% or 5.2%.

I found the bottled version very sweet and won't be getting any more of them from Tesco.

Try the Fuller's ESB or 1849 on multibuy for a much better beer.
    Seems like all the over 5.0 beers have been reduced in strength.my daughter in law works for Fullers so i often get beers from them but for free.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Seems like all the over 5.0 beers have been reduced in strength.my daughter in law works for Fullers so i often get beers from them but for free.
    A lot of the big brewers have reduced the strengths (all to do with tax), Stella is now down to 4.8% , they still charge the same though
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

I will check the ESB and 1845 next time I'm in Tesco. The only justification for reducing the strength of a beer is if it was over 7.5% when the "Park Bench" duty levels came into force. They always say it was "public demand".

These breweries that take part in this sharp practice are not doing themselves any favours. I used to quite like Brains SA gold from the supermarket and on draught but have boycotted it since the reduction in strength. The same goes for bottled Lees Brewers Dark, which was reduced from 3.0% (or was it 3.2%) to 2.8% and the flavour changed from a nice bottled mild to a rubbish brown ale. I actually complained to Lees brewery about this and got the usual brush off from some marketing executive moron.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 20-09-2012 at 22:02. Reason: speling

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    A lot of the big brewers have reduced the strengths (all to do with tax), Stella is now down to 4.8% , they still charge the same though
    So Stella is no longer "reassuringly expensive" but "assuringly a total rip-off".

I got some ESB a week or so ago from Tesco and it is till 5.9% and also on 4 for £6 multibuy.

I spotted a new one (or one I hadn't noticed before) in Tesco yesterday, It's Tesco Finest American IPA (9.2%) and is on multibuy 4 for £6 at least until the end of the month. I think the single price was £1.99. It's Brewdog's Hardcore IPA rebadged and I am going to try some next week, carefully ignoring the idiotic description that the brewery supplies. Obviously it's in 330ml bottles rather than 500ml. Brewdog brewery are charging £15 for 6 bottles of Hardcore and I didn't bother to check if that includes delivery.

Fans of strong ones may like to know that the legendary Old Tom is also on the same multibuy, and I think ASDA have started doing it at 2 for £3.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Don't know if this applies nationally, but my local Asda has re-started the '4 for £5' offer, after a hiatus of several years. They also appear to be showcasing local beers a lot more - upmarket shelving etc. Just hope it lasts. Nice to stock up on Acorn Gorlovka & Old Moor Porter, Saltaire Cascade and Ossett Treacle Stout.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.