Ads not shown when logged in
Page 16 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Bottled Beer Bargain Alert

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Don't know if this applies nationally, but my local Asda has re-started the '4 for £5' offer, after a hiatus of several years. They also appear to be showcasing local beers a lot more - upmarket shelving etc. Just hope it lasts. Nice to stock up on Acorn Gorlovka & Old Moor Porter, Saltaire Cascade and Ossett Treacle Stout.
    I can vouch for that as well, the Edmonton Green branch had most of their bottled range on 4 for £5 today, sadly with very few micros only Purity I think. Down here the 4 for £5 offers only ended with the last budget when it became 2 for £3. I wonder if Tesco will follow suit.

Actually that is wrong, ASDA used to do 3 for £4, it was Tesco that was the last to do 4 for a fiver. I'm getting my supermarkets confused!
    Last edited by Aqualung; 29-10-2012 at 18:35.

I went to the local Sainsbury's today and noticed that they were doing Pedigree and Spitfire for £1 a bottle. I wouldn't normally consider these but will get a few in at that price.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

my local Asda has re-started the '4 for £5' offer, after a hiatus of several years.
    Whereas the Morrisons 4 for £6 offer seems to have been recinded, at least last time I was at Wimbledon branch.

Nice to stock up on Acorn Gorlovka & Old Moor Porter, Saltaire Cascade and Ossett Treacle Stout.
    It aint fair -Grrr!!!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    It aint fair -Grrr!!!
    Actually, as the nights draw in, some decent ABVs (alcohol-by-value) available online at 4-for£5. Ballards Wassail, Black Sheep Riggwelter, Old Thumper, Old Tom, Old P, Boondoggle, and McEwans Champion no1 (7.3%). Not that it'll all turn up, but here's hoping...

Edit 19/11/2012

I got three stouts today and they were charged at 3 for £3, I also noticed that the Ginger was available. I tried the stout tonight and found it rather sweet, I suspect that Marston's use caramel in their dark beers. Given that the ABV is identical to Marston's Oyster Stout I wonder if they are the same brew. I only tried the Oyster once and don't remember much about it. I recently got 4 Fuller's Black Cabs for a fiver in ASDA and it's a MUCH nicer stout. ASDA are back to 2 for £3 now and I didn't notice if the Fuller's beers were included.

At a quid a bottle you can't really complain, nor even at the full price of £1.33.

I suspect that the three for £3 offer may run out tomorrow, according to their online sales it ends on the 20th of November.

It's a shame that their Finest American IPA didn't seem to be available today.

Edit 15/11/2012

They now also have the 5% IPA at three for three pounds. The ESB currently IS priced at £1.49.
    The Stout still doesn't have a multibuy display, I'll try it next week.

Tesco seem to have re-introduced their Simply beer range. My local store has the Golden ale, the Dark ale and a new Stout. The IPA and the Ginger seem to have been discontinued. The Ginger was rubbish so that isn't a loss. In my local store the Golden and Dark were three for £3.00, but apparently not the Stout. I checked online and the Stout is a multi-buy, so if there is anyone around next time I visit I will check it out.

On my last visit I got four bottles of Fuller's ESB thinking it would be six quid. At the checkout it transpired that they were only £1.49 each, over a half less than they charge in their pubs, and roughly a half what Spoons charge. Fuller's sold their beer to Tesco and I find the idea that Tesco are selling it at a loss laughable, so who really is to blame for people not going to pubs any more?
    Last edited by Aqualung; 19-11-2012 at 21:54.

" listed as part of a focus on regionality"
    http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/ryed...elves/?ref=rss
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

"Bateman's Vintage Ale is based on a 1976 vintage bottle of Bateman's BBB "
    http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/...ail/story.html
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Jennings Cumberland Ale 4.7% ABV, 500ml for 99p in Lidl this week
    I drink to make others more interesting

The Tesco Finest American IPA is back in my local branch at the same price, £1.99 a bottle or 4 for six quid. It's Brewdog Hardcore at an affordable price, so why not appreciate it at home rather than in a noisy over-priced concrete bunker?

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "Bateman's Vintage Ale is based on a 1976 vintage bottle of Bateman's BBB "
    http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/...ail/story.html
    Finally managed to get my hands on a bottle of this rediscovered barley wine and have to say it's slightly disappointing. It's not unpleasant, just not particularly exciting. As Oh Good Ale says in his blog, it doesn't live up to the back story. Flavour wise there's toffee, almond and apples, but a pretty short finish for its strength. At £3.29 a pop, I'd rather have two bottles of McEwans Champion Ale for £3.00, from Asda.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.