Ads not shown when logged in

View Poll Results: Should posts in the 'That Doesn't Go There' forum show up when you look at New Posts?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 23.08%
  • No

10 76.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about the forums

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Question A question about the forums

Just a quick question.

Ed has posted this suggestion.

I have found a way to remove That Doesn't Go There forum from the New Posts list, new posts will still be indicated as unread if you physically go into that forum, but they will not show up on your New Posts lists.

Only problem is that for the moment this would effect everyone rather than being selectable by individuals. I do think it is a better behaviour overall though.

Rather than just go ahead and change it I thought I best check, sorry this is off-topic for this forum, but wanted to get maximum visibility.

I will add a poll to this thread as well, but feel free to post with a yes or no in here, you'll even get your post count up

So the question is should posts in the 'That Doesn't Go There' forum show up when you look at New Posts?

I think No.

As it would still show up if we went into that forum im keeping my original vote of no. it makes that aspect of the site 'semi behind the scenes', but we could still check that our updateshave been received.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Ok, with only 5 votes in and all agreeing I have enabled the change, if someone does convince me otherwise I will reverse the change, but I am struggling to see a good reason.

7 votes now and there's always 14.29% who have to be different.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

If you click on the number of votes you can see who voted for what as I made it a public poll. And as Mr A has not given his reasoning I will assume he is being awkward

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I've no real strong opinion either way, hence my lateness in viewing. I just click on chit-chat 90% of the time anyway.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    ....as Mr A has not given his reasoning I will assume he is being awkward
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    ..... there's always 14.29% who have to be different.

It's only 12.5% being different now, does this mean Mr A's awkwardness is shrinking? Have you noticed any thing strange Mr A? (well stranger than usual)

Am I getting the name of being a trouble maker ? Fame at last. I look at New Posts merely to catch up with everything as quickly as possible if I have been off the forum for a while ( not that it happens very often) I believe that a post is a post and so I voted as I did. Sometimes one has to plow one's own lonely furrow all 14.29% and shrinking of it.
    However it is nice to see the basics of democracy being applied . Polls,Forum Mods whatever next? a referendum on the EU membership? I would probably be the dissenting percentage on that as well.
    We had better have a Party Whip (well I go to strange parties ok).

Well a quick thank you from me for this Conrad!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    I look at New Posts merely to catch up with everything as quickly as possible if I have been off the forum for a while ( not that it happens very often) I believe that a post is a post and so I voted as I did.
    I have to admit it was handy for me as well to try and keep track of the changes I still need to do (or pretend to do on recent form). But I can see how that forum would be a little dull to most people , also I probably should be happy we are advertising a little less how many corrections are needed .