Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This week, I'll be mostly reading / listening to / watching / going to see....

reading: Just got "Generosity" by Richard Powers, just finished "Last shop standing" by Graham Jones (a nationwide tour of the last few independent record shops still trading these days).

listening: Right this minute, Grateful Dead, hollywood palladium 10 Sept 1972 (free legal bootleg on archive dot org). I've also been listening to a lot of Vic Chesnutt who died last month. Otherwise I'm musically all over the place, mentally I can't deal with full shuffle like RogerB, but have a collection of old, cheap mp3 players which have different vaguely thematically organised tracklists (the one i have today is mostly bluegrass, surf guitar, rockabilly and western swing - uptempo and heavy on the instrumentals I suppose).

watching: Would you believe "Klokka atte hos meg", norwegian version of "Come dine with me" which can be watched online. And I got sucked into the eastenders holiday cheer - nothing beats misery at Christmas time, especially with a long drawn out murder inquiry.

going to: Joe Pernice tonight at Union Chapel, maybe Laura Veirs tomorrow, thursday a talk at the British Museum "From Antiquity to the Enlightenment: the origins of the British Museum". Some sort of live music in the weekend but I haven't decided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    Oi, just because the two bands that I've seen play live the most - Yes and The Strawbs (who played at the GBBF last year) - happened to release their first albums around 8 years before I was born! Actually I'm not quite sure where my taste came from either.

That just earned some rep!!
    I saw Yes on the Fragile, Close To The Edge and Tales from Topographic Oceans tours all in the early 70's.

I guess that's showing my age !
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Reading: :d Pete Brown Hops and Glory, soon to be followed by TP's latest offering when it hits paperback. Last one I read was Nation. Given where I live, I don't read as often as I should!

Watch: Hustle on Iplayer. I feel a little bit sad and a little more cautious each time they don't pay eddie the barman for their drinks...

Listen - I'm a Mo-town boy, Temptations lead the way for me

Play - Xbox, it;s my stress relief (MW2). Mario games and Wiifit on the Wii to keep my fine body shape

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Play - Xbox, it;s my stress relief (MW2).
    I swear that game is the bane of my life, and I don't even own it.

On the week it came out my home Internet connection starting becoming unusable in the evenings, and is still not working outside of work hours. I have added 2 & 2 and decided that I need to make sure I don't live in a student area if I want a working Internet connection (or don't use Virgin )

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I swear that game is the bane of my life, and I don't even own it.

On the week it came out my home Internet connection starting becoming unusable in the evenings, and is still not working outside of work hours. I have added 2 & 2 and decided that I need to make sure I don't live in a student area if I want a working Internet connection (or don't use Virgin )

:d

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    :d
    Sadly if it only works 20% of the time it is still cheaper and more effective than any other connection I can get at my house (not taking into account download limits and I may watch a certain amount of American tv ).

I swear if I ever meet the person who outsourced their call support though, well in fact the best torture I can think of is to get them to try and report a line fault to Virgin call support.

And please can some phone company bother to convert the phone exchanges in Bristol to ADSL2!

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I saw Yes on the Fragile, Close To The Edge and Tales from Topographic Oceans tours all in the early 70's.
    You have no idea how jealous I am!! I'd love to have been there for all those (if only I'd been born then), first time I got to see them was about 23 years later in the Keys To Ascension tour - not quite as momentous.

Saw them a couple of months ago, it was odd seeing them without Jon Anderson singing and with one of Rick Wakemans sons on Keys.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I saw Yes on the Fragile, Close To The Edge and Tales from Topographic Oceans tours all in the early 70's
    Must admit I was abit of a fan in the early 70's. Certainly gave Close To The Edge, Fragile and Yessongs some hammer. Being LP's in those days, the large gatefold album covers did Roger Dean's fantastic artwork real justice....Pause to wipe away a tear.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dpv View Post
    reading: Just got "Generosity" by Richard Powers, just finished "Last shop standing" by Graham Jones (a nationwide tour of the last few independent record shops still trading these days).

listening: Right this minute, Grateful Dead, hollywood palladium 10 Sept 1972 (free legal bootleg on archive dot org). I've also been listening to a lot of Vic Chesnutt who died last month. Otherwise I'm musically all over the place, mentally I can't deal with full shuffle like RogerB, but have a collection of old, cheap mp3 players which have different vaguely thematically organised tracklists (the one i have today is mostly bluegrass, surf guitar, rockabilly and western swing - uptempo and heavy on the instrumentals I suppose).

watching: Would you believe "Klokka atte hos meg", norwegian version of "Come dine with me" which can be watched online. And I got sucked into the eastenders holiday cheer - nothing beats misery at Christmas time, especially with a long drawn out murder inquiry.

going to: Joe Pernice tonight at Union Chapel, maybe Laura Veirs tomorrow, thursday a talk at the British Museum "From Antiquity to the Enlightenment: the origins of the British Museum". Some sort of live music in the weekend but I haven't decided yet.
    The usual mainstream stuff then. I'll have to google a few of those names!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Sadly if it only works 20% of the time it is still cheaper and more effective than any other connection I can get at my house (not taking into account download limits and I may watch a certain amount of American tv ).

I swear if I ever meet the person who outsourced their call support though, well in fact the best torture I can think of is to get them to try and report a line fault to Virgin call support.

And please can some phone company bother to convert the phone exchanges in Bristol to ADSL2!
    As I'm sure you can guess, no company has unpacked our exchange, which means we can only get basic broadband. 5 - 8pm, less than 1meg. Argh!