Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This week, I'll be mostly reading / listening to / watching / going to see....

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default This week, I'll be mostly reading / listening to / watching / going to see....

Thought it might be interesting to see what makes us all tick (apart from beer of course!) For example, I know RogerB's a fanatical live music follower. I'm not necessarily expecting a breakdown of each category, just something that's grabbed you this week.

To get the ball rolling:

Reading: Currently ploughing my way through David Peace's 'Red Riding Quartet'. (Shown last year on Channel Four) The four books have been described as 'Yorkshire noir, and are dark, visceral thrillers based on police corruption in West Yorkshire in the 1970's and 80's. As much of the action takes place within my home city (Wakefield), they are particularly fascinating for me.

Listening to: JJ Cale 'Roll On'. Been a massive fan of his fusion of jazz, blues and country for years. Nothing really changes on his albums, but that's part of their charm.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Thought it might be interesting to see what makes us all tick (apart from beer of course!) For example, I know RogerB's a fanatical live music follower. I'm not necessarily expecting a breakdown of each category, just something that's grabbed you this week.

To get the ball rolling:

Reading: Currently ploughing my way through David Peace's 'Red Riding Quartet'. (Shown last year on Channel Four) The four books have been described as 'Yorkshire noir, and are dark, visceral thrillers based on police corruption in West Yorkshire in the 1970's and 80's. As much of the action takes place within my home city (Wakefield), they are particularly fascinating for me.

Listening to: JJ Cale 'Roll On'. Been a massive fan of his fusion of jazz, blues and country for years. Nothing really changes on his albums, but that's part of their charm.
    Reading: I'm just about to finish Nation by Terry Pratchett and as I got the new Ian Rankin - The Complaints for Xmas I suspect that will be next.

Listening to: Foo Fighters and inspired by the jukebox in The Fringe in Manchester on Saturday I've got out my old Stone Roses & The Cure stuff.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Real Ale Drinker

Channel4 certainly highlighted the police corruption and in my view done a very good documentry which was great viewing, shows how times have changed and how our pc plod has become no more than a thug in uniform this being highlighted weekly on tv shows such as road wars and street wars,government have sent the message out to take no nonsense,some of the recent tv footage has shown corrupt police and some violent police behaviour that nobody likes to see.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I've got out my old Stone Roses & The Cure stuff.
    Can't argue with those ROB. What's frightening for me though, is that my fifteen year old daughter now likes The Cure!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Can't argue with those ROB. What's frightening for me though, is that my fifteen year old daughter now likes The Cure!
    That shouldn't frighten you, that makes you a cool dad.

My godson (now 22) is so jealous that I went to see e.g Deep Purple, Quo, Sabbath etc in the early 70's and then Stranglers, Buzzcocks (8 times), Jam (8 times), Damned etc in the late 70's.

He's not so sure about Shalamar, Kool and the Gang, Human League etc in the 80's though.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Former Pubs Galore Coder

It is terrible just how rubbish most new music is though.

Well a little unsurprisingly as a computer geek I like computer games, so my 360 gets some of my free time.

TV, I think it is well and truly out there that I am an SF fan, and we have been making our way through Supernatural episodes recently.

Reading, don't find the time for it these days, but I am slowly rereading the Dark is Rising sequence of childrens books having seen the truly awful movie and wanting to remind myself of how good the original was.

Music, nothing specific jumps to mind I generally just leave random play on, shamefully found myself enjoying Evanesence (in amongst a number of good Red Hot Chilli Pepper singles) on the music channel on Saturday though, so may as well embarass myself with that.

It is terrible just how rubbish most new music is though. Quote Conrad.

This Conrad is the position taken by the small group here who are proud to call themselves BOFs. I did not think you qualified either by age or outlook. You will be telling us next that Doctors and Policemen look far to young.
    It all went downhill when Billie Cotton ,senior went from radio to tv. and Tamla Motown took over the charts.That Cliff Richard is only a flash in the pan ,you watch he wont last.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    This Conrad is the position taken by the small group here who are proud to call themselves BOFs. I did not think you qualified either by age or outlook. You will be telling us next that Doctors and Policemen look far to young.
    It all went downhill when Billie Cotton ,senior went from radio to tv. and Tamla Motown took over the charts.That Cliff Richard is only a flash in the pan ,you watch he wont last.
    I only moan about Doctors looking too young when they're male (or sticking needles in me).

As to music, I await Dave's reply to this thread, I will never know where he acquired his taste, but it must have been left by someone before he was born.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

My house is full of books , i have usually got at least 3 on the go , at the moment they are
    Terry Pratchet , Unseen Academicals
    Frankie Boyle , My Shit Life so Far
    Ian Fleming , Thunderball
    I am reading all the James Bond books in order .

As for music its a strange mix at the moment
    Rammstein , Liebe ist fur Alle Da
    Leonard Cohen , Isle of White 1970
    The Clash , London Calling
    Ian Dury , Reasons to be Cheerfull
    Howling Wolf , Moanin at Midnight

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    That Cliff Richard is only a flash in the pan ,you watch he wont last.
    I wish he'd been a flush in the pan, years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Ian Dury , Reasons to be Cheerfull
    Lucky enough to see the old curmudgeon when he was in his pomp, c.1978. Looking forward to seeing Andy Serkis play him.