Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer crippling virus 0 v 1 Strongers

Default Computer crippling virus 0 v 1 Strongers

This morning I was plunged into a world of malware, spyware and rogue combobulators that were trying to destroy my very being and after 5 hours of reading through mind bending instructions I managed to defeat my first virus. The critter was called system tool 2011 and during our battle I learnt about downloading free virus software and that YouTube isn’t all about watching grown men hurt themselves.

I know most of you learnt how to do this before your first nappy was soiled, but I feel like I have taken a step towards not paying £50 every time the misses locks up our laptop.

Happy surfing!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Yes its A pain always make sure you have up to date Anti Virus & Firewall Protection
    AVG do A Free anti Virus Program and there are a Few others. Also Get a Firewall as well Zone Alarm Free is one there are others.
    Glad you defeated it, If you do online banking Most banks supply a Full Internet Security package free as well.
    Last edited by Alesonly; 01-02-2011 at 00:36.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Blimey, a supermarket of free anti virus!

I used MalwareBytes during my battle. It was afterwards whilst having a ciggy in the back garden that I realised that the internet is a battle between good and evil and the battle is never won! (walk on Yoda). something I couldn't answer was what did all of these hackers and anti hackers do before computers were invented? Also is a person that battles against hackers a hacker also. Is someone who writes a virus a hacker? Are the back four at Brentford good at computers as they spend most of their day hacking? Questions questions questions!!!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I use both AVG and Malwarebites, both free to download. I also use Mozilla Firefox rather tha I-explorer to browse; I'm reliably informed that Mozilla is safer to use, and it's also free to downlaod.

I use <geek attack>:
    • Firewall: Zonealarm (free download).
    • Anti-virus: A combination of AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy (both free). Spybot also takes proactive steps to patch up known vulnerabilities in IE and Firefox.
    • Web browser: You can't beat Firefox (free!) for in-depth browsing and functionality but most importantly, security. If you have Firefox, at a minimum download Adblock Plus and Betterprivacy in addition as 'add-ons' - very useful. Also, Firefox will give you a warning should you attempt to enter a known attack site (see http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/its-an-attack.html for an example screenie)
    • Useful extras: ATF Cleaner free - cleans up old registry files and properly deletes them (as opposed to just mangling data like when you empty the recycle bin manually). Hijackthis - a free utility that generates an in depth report of registry and file settings from your computer - you will need this report to post on forums in order for others to ID malicious programmes.

Bookmark http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php which is a good site where you can questions about iffy processes and post Hijackthis logs for infected PCs.

ALWAYS schedule in an update day once a fortnight (if automatic updating is not built into the programme) for your Anti-virus.

Oh and of course NEVER open attachments from people you don't know OR attachments that have a dodgy suffix (usually .exe) unless you implicitly trust the sender (eg your mate who sends you amusing video clips twice a week!). Also don't download software from sites you don't trust even if they claim it is required; if a site says that a plugin is necessary, go directly to the plugin vendor's web site instead.

If the worst comes to worst and you're afraid to click away from a site as it's bombarding you with boxes demanding you install stuff or clearly attempting to download something without your permission, pull the internet plug out of the usb port/switch off the router manually. Then ctrl+alt+delete and switch off the browser through task manager.

Finally, for any sites that give you a fully free download (as opposed to a stripped-down version of a paid-for product) that you use regularly, please contribute a couple of quid every now and again to allow them to keep on giving

Doing this has kept me relatively virus free for the past five years, after a spectacular meltdown in 2005 where I had to literally start again. I was then where you are now.
    Last edited by Quinno; 01-02-2011 at 13:57.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Warning, this post assumes you use Windows, the really easy solution is to use Linux or MacOS (I need a wash after mentioning Mac).

I personally would not touch Zonealarm with a rather large bargepole, it's main purpose is to scare you and it is largely unnecessary if you are using a copy of Windows newer than Windows XP [service pack 2] (inclusive), or you are sat behind a decent router (which most are if you use wireless). Whilst it makes lots of noise and b*ggers around a lot all it ever really does is tell you what it is doing (and what is already being done by your system if it wasn't there).

AVG is very popular, although I am not a fan as it has crashed a couple of my computers and also after their pre-fetch debarkle. I preferred Avast, although now I have moved on to Microsoft Security Essentials. MS Security Essentials just quietly does the job and it is in MS's interest to get it right as it reduces their service overhead and negative reputation whenever their OS gets hit.

If you ever find yourself infected Malwarebytes is essential, it is the best cleaner around, not very good as an in place checker though.

In terms of browser, Firefox is a must for the more Internet savvie for its huge array of Add-ons of which Adblock Plus is most notable (although please turn it off on sites that rely on advertising income if you want them to succeed). For the general user though I actually think Chrome is probably best now (and I hate saying that) as it is very smooth, quick and uncluttered (hurry up and release Firefox 4.0 as that looks almost as good). And the imminent IE9 looks impressive (although PuG doesn't work on their current test build).

Again I am not a fan of registry cleaners, but then I will generally rebuild my machine about once a year making them largely redundant.

Your points about Zonealarm are good - I've noticed lately that they are making a lot of fuss about pointless stuff and attempted a dubious marketing tactic by trying to scare people into thinking they had a virus. I am on XP SP2 so I'll stick with it until I do a clean install on my PC later this year.early next as it's getting a bit creaky now, even with extra RAM being added.

Also, Adblock Plus - I must admit I've never added a filter to it, so would you be kind enough Mr Conrad to show me (us) an example of what we should add to ours in order for our favourite pub website to be excepted from the general blocking?

ta

Former Pubs Galore Coder

ROFL, I don't actually use adblock

For me it is more useful to know how people are advertising as it is useful to my job. I should also say I am not too bothered if you block our site, we don't have any impression ads (ones that earn just by you seeing them) and I figure you won't click on what we do have anyway. Long term - advertising isn't our core model.

I will have a look later though and put up some instructions as I really should know

My browser is Comodo Dragon ( a version of Chrome ) and its attendant security suit . Recent Firefox versions have caused me a few problems after updating to Win. 7 Ultimate. I have used AVG , Avast and Avira in the past. In fact I am a bit of an anti virus trollop fancying whatever of the moment. Malwarebytes and a couple of other spyware programs get an airing. One program I have found good at finding infections is Hitman Pro. It is supposed to be shareware but the trial version on my tower computer just keeps going. The many forums dealing with virus and malware problems have saved my bacon a number of times. I am lucky in that I have more than one computer and can use another to chase down medicine for the sick one without risking other networks.

ps If anyone has Norton A.V they want to get rid of from their computer then download Symantec's own removal tool ( I use the MajorGeeks website ). It works fine for me when people complain they are stuck with Norton and con me into spending my Sunday afternoon drinking time clearing out their computers.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Firstly, Ark, 2 posts today and a demonstration of far too much knowledge sir - more ranting and rambling required

Just had a quick look at Adblock, and it is embarassingly simple. When you install it there will be a new button appears alongside the search box at the top of the browser that will initially show as ABP being disabled. Click on it and select "Enable Adblock Plus". From this point on it will block ads according to its local list (there are ways of adding more lists to do cool stuff like stopping Facebook tracking you).

If however you wish to allow some humble site to advertise to you, visit that site. Whilst on the site (say PuG) click on the ABP logo again, and you will see the option "disable on pubsgalore.co.uk", select this and it will then allow adverts from that site through to your computer. It is nice for us to be able to advertise to you and certainly may help the site as it grows. But for some sites it is essential to their being able to run.

Cheers for the lead in Quinno