Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: North York Moors

Default North York Moors

I've just booked our annual pilgrimage to God's Own County at the end of this month. For various reasons we will be based in the North York moors, rather than the Dales. Are there any must visit pubs in the area? Good beer is a major factor, but I'd happily visit a cracking pub even if the only beer was Black Sheep. We have been to the wonderful Blacksmith's Arms in Lastingham, and the splendid Jolly Farmer near Thirsk (OK, not in the Moors, but close ,and an excellent pub)
    If I'm very good, and if the ladies decide to go shopping, I might be allowed some beer tourism in York.Any suggestions-I don't think the York Tap will be open, but we'll probably be going back in the months to come.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Can't remember what they sell now, but a great pub for the journey there alone is The Lion Inn on Blakey Ridge on the moor road from Castleton to Hutton le hole. I have tried so many times to get snowed up there, but snow always stopped me from getting there.

Will check to see if it is on here now. Happy memories of touring the moors in a 3 wheel Reliant Robin on sledging trips and piling into a pub to get warm.

Lion Inn

If you want a town with some good pubs I would aim for Scarborough or Whitby. Scarborough has 8 pubs in the 2012 GBG including brewpub North Riding Hotel and Whitby can't be beaten as a brill place to visit anyway, and has 3 GBG pubs.
    Last edited by gillhalfpint; 03-10-2011 at 22:08.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I suspect 'oldboots' is your man for this part of the county. However, a couple spring to mind. The Birch Hall Inn, at Beck Hole, is one of those unreconstructed time warp pubs in a lovely rustic setting: The Birch Hall Inn (Do check the opening times if planning to visit). As the NYM extend to the coast you may fancy a blow through at the seaside. Staithes is a lovely higgledy-piggledy hillside village full of character. The Captain Cook Inn was very impressive on the beer front last time I was there. It is very basic though. Finally, if you fancy a foodie blowout, The Star Inn, Harome (near Helmsley) is usually listed in anyone's Top Ten gastropubs.

Just noticed Gill's edit and would also fully endorse Whitby. Has gems like The Black Horse: http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/29817/
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 04-10-2011 at 09:41.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Certainly the Birch Hall has to be visited, sadly it's a bit close to the tourist trap of Goathland and there's nil parking, but if you like steep hills it's great to walk to. The Lion is the highest pub in Yorkshire and fearsomely popular when the weather is good it's also in the 2012 GBG. The Blacksmiths is a lovely pub. The New Inn at Cropton, near Pickering is also a must visit and I rather like the Duke of Wellington at Danby which is a good stop if you're touring beautiful Eskdale, there are a few good GBG pubs in Eskdale particularly the Wheatsheaf at Egton. Before going up Sutton Bank you could detour to the Wheatsheaf at Borrowby which is a classic village local. As you'd expect most pubs on the Moors are very tourist/food oriented, see Helmsley/ Aidensfield sorry Goathland/Thornton le Dale, with only a few village locals.

York is a different kettle of fish, there is a very, very long list of must visit pubs, and I think anyone who's been there will have their own favourites among the classics.

The Maltings
    The Minster Inn - later opening times
    The Blue Bell Inn
    Ackhorne
    Brigantes
    Three Legged Mare/ Last Drop/Yorkshire Terrier
    Pivni
    Rook and Gaskill
    House of Trembling Madness
    Swan - later opening times
    Slip Inn - later opening times
    Golden Ball - later opening times
    Junction Brewhouse - a bit far out from the centre

You could take a look at York CAMRA's pub map as well.

The York Tap should be open in November so you will just miss it, next time though.

I've just come back from the North York Moors. I've uploaded my photos and I'm just about up to date with adding my reviews.

I would endorse the comments regarding the Birch Hall Inn in Beck Hole and the New Inn at Cropton. We also liked the friendliness of the Black Swan in Pickering and the New Inn at Thornton Le Dale.
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 04-10-2011 at 20:51.
    Waes hael!

Thanks for the info, folks!I'm off to buy my maps, walking books and the GBG'12, and will have a few happy evenings planning.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.