Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 31 Jan 2010)

I have had one hell of a long session today - I think we have clocked up about 15/16 pints since midday but my BOTW was found yesterday at the Village Inn at Rayners Lane - Rebellion, Frozen Assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    oh, by the way, best beer so far this week - Holden's Special, in the Great Western, Wolvo - quality
    Great Western.. now thats quality! Havent been there since 2005...
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I have had one hell of a long session today - I think we have clocked up about 15/16 pints since midday
    Impressive at any time, but for a Sunday afternoon/eve that's quality! I rarely use emoticons, but that effort is worthy of a

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Impressive at any time, but for a Sunday afternoon/eve that's quality! I rarely use emoticons, but that effort is worthy of a
    I've tried to do a count up - our Sidcup stint consisted of the following - Pint of Old Cocky in the Tailors Chalk for starters (another new 'Spoons to me Hoppy!). We then went to an afternoon gig at the Working Mans Club - we were there for 2 and a half hours so can safely say we knocked back 6 pints of Youngs Ordinary (at £2 a pint). Caught the end of the first half of Arse v Moan U in the Portrait (Pint of Hobgoblin). Tried to get the second half in the Alma but it was shut so threw caution to the wind and got the second half in at the Metro Bar (the one where the young lad from Harry Potter was stabbed to death). Keg Courage Best only so strung one pint over the entire second half. 5 minute walk to Ye Old Black Horse (Pint of Broadside) before getting bus to Dartford. A pint of Weltons ??? in the Wat Tyler before ending up at the Ivy Leaf for weekly quiz at 9pm. Probably 5 pints of Doom Bar making it in the region of 16 pints over the course of the afternoon / evening. And we won the quiz! 45 minutes late for work this morning though.

I'm also impressed by Roger's stamina not to mention his deep pockets

To my Beer of the Week, I thought it might be Dark Star Expresso but Triple fff Alton's Pride was superior to anything else this week (admittedly that's mainly Black Sheep Bitter). I can only agree with its GBG description

"This is an excellent, clean tasting, golden brown session beer, full bodied for its strength with a glorious aroma of floral hops. An initally malty flavour fades as citrus notes and hoppiness take over, leading to a lasting hoppy, bitter finish."

For once the description is actually like the beer I had.

Bloooody hell, Roger! - and I thought my Rochester session on Saturday was a killer.

My BOTW goes to: Batemans Miss Scotland - a nice, rich porter at around 4.1%

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I have had one hell of a long session today - I think we have clocked up about 15/16 pints since midday
    I'm a big guy, but I don't think I could have downed 15/16 pints and got up for work the next day. Respect. You've got to be on fighting form for Thursday Mr B!
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I'm another whose a touch gobsmacked by Mr B's performance, bluidy amazing! I like to think I've got a head for alcohol, but me bladder is not a patch on that. Perhaps that all to brief dalliance with godhead gave him superhuman powers, yeahto that.
    Just to say MrB, I enjoyed .......half a mo, I'll be back
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

I should add that I finished off my mate's last half pint of Doom Bar at the end. He's a bit of a lightweight, just 15 and a half for him.

Remember kids, don't try this at home.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I should add that I finished off my mate's last half pint of Doom Bar at the end. He's a bit of a lightweight, just 15 and a half for him.

Remember kids, don't try this at home.
    DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME ?!?!??!

I wouldn't try it in a hospital, if they had the stomach pump powered up and ready to insert