Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 31 Jan 2010)

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Mine was probably Slater's Top Totty, a superb hoppy golden beer, perhaps more suited to summer than the current cold spell but very good nevertheless..........and it was also in a 'spoons emporium. You do have to use those vouchers though, 50p off coming in at £1.55 a pint. Marvellous.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    In a quiet week, and having expunged all memory of Wed nt from my mind, I'll have to go for Bishops Farewell from the outstanding Oakham brewery - sampled until it ran out last night in the Moon on the Mall (yes Hoppy, tm in a spoons, on a Saturday!), a little dear for jdw at £2.40, but they took a few vouchers off us...

Also of note was Castle Rock's Harvest Pale - the bottled version is 4.3%, as opposed to 3.8% on draught. I look forward to a few more from their stable after a brewery tour & 'champions' fest (CanalHouse) next week.
    I had a couple of pints of Bishops Farewell myself last night in The Regal Moon and very good it was too. Voluptuous Vicky still wins this week though.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    (yes Hoppy, tm in a spoons, on a Saturday!)
    Good for you! Thats where PROPER real ales are! Affordable and it wont eat your well deserved monies pal.

Oh Last Wed, Fortyniner was on sale for 99p in Silk Kite.. I had to buy it and ended up with 5 pints.. Not suprising, it ran out bfeore the end of the day!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Unless I can nip to the pub sometime this evening (unlikely) I think my BOTW is going to be Beartown's 'Bearskinful'. As a confirmed hophead I'm quite surprised to be nominating such a malty beer. However, after a few indifferent ales, it was wonderfully fresh and aromatic by comparison.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

A fairly uneventful week:the only pub visit was to the Flier in Smarden where I had acouple of pints of Sheps Masterbrew-unfashionable but satisfyingly marmaladey. On the bottled front, a welcome return of Westerham's Freedom Ale, with lashings of fairtrade demarara. Nothing dark, I'm afraid.

A hell of a sight better week than last. Top? Cotleigh Buzzard, always one of my favourites. A new barrel had somewhat less in when I left than when I got there. Odd thing about Buzzard, I never think of it when asked for a list of my favourite beers, yet when it's on I can't get enough of it. Then there was Salopian's Prohibition, I was enjoying that, then they put the Buzzard on..........
    Last edited by runningdog; 31-01-2010 at 18:46. Reason: Fingers
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Well I was in danger of having to agree with Conrad on the Badger Golden Champion, but agreeing with him just isn't my style

Trouble is that I wasn't that fond of the Moonraker, even if it did warm me up nicely for my cold journey home last night.

So to solve my issues I nipped up my local shop earlier and managed to nab the last two Bath Gems off the shelf, so that gets my nod for the week!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

How did you like your French beer, Hoppy - what was it called, Le Carling?
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    How did you like your French beer, Hoppy - what was it called, Le Carling?
    Beats me.. I never tasted some Frenchy Beer

Best leave it to some Frenchies over there in Calais.. where they are experts
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

oh, by the way, best beer so far this week - Holden's Special, in the Great Western, Wolvo - quality
    MILD: