Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheffield evening

Glass Half Empty

Default Sheffield evening

Looks like I have to stay in Sheffield overnight next Monday (very welcome after several work day trips when I've only just managed to sink a hurried pint or two in the Tap before getting my train back!). Would be grateful for suggestions of a few pubs to crawl between that evening.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    Looks like I have to stay in Sheffield overnight next Monday (very welcome after several work day trips when I've only just managed to sink a hurried pint or two in the Tap before getting my train back!). Would be grateful for suggestions of a few pubs to crawl between that evening.
    It depends on where you're staying really.

Sheffield has many more good pubs than just crawling down the Valley Of Beer, although that would be an option.

We visit Sheffield regularly (last time was in September), so if you tell me which hotel you're in I can probably sort you 5/6 suggestions without walking too far.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Glass Half Empty

Thanks Rob. Think I'm going to be in the Premier Inn in Angel St.

A couple of options for you Old Blue, one walking and one with a tram ride out and walk back.

Walking you could do a lot worse than head up to the Devonshire Quarter.

This pub The Museum is close to your hotel and makes a good starting point.

Then head to Henry's a modern bar with 15 handpumps.

There are a couple of JDW possible jokers on the way The Benjamin Huntsman and The Sheffield Waterworks Company both of which usually have a decent selection of guest ales.

From Henrys turn right and along Wellington Street to The Devonshire Cat another modern bar with a good ale selection and a massive walk in bottle store.

A trip up to Division Street then brings you to The Old House.

From here there's a must visit pub and the most traditional around here Bath Hotel

Retrace your steps down Glossop Road and up a side street on the left is The Red Deer

On the way back if you like Thornbridge beers you could call into Trippets

Finish off in The Three Tuns and you're almost back to where you started.

Option 2 to follow.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 19-10-2011 at 13:13.

Option 2, more traditional pubs than option 1.

Take the tram (pay on board) from Cathedral to Shalesmoor.

Almost opposite the tram stop is The Wellington home of Little Ale Cart brewery.

A short walk takes you to The Kelham Island Tavern CAMRA pub of the year 2 years running.

Just around the corner is The Fat Cat home of Kelham Island Brewery.

A short walk from here along Alma Street and a left at the end will bring you to Riverside Inn

Across the multiple traffic lanes of Derek Dooley Way you can see The Harlequin

Then a 10 minute walk will bring you back into the city centre.

There are some excellent pubs on this route but it isn't the most salubrious of areas.

"Over The River Going Out Of Town" to quote the Arctic Monkeys on "When The Sun Goes Down"

You may well encounter some "working girls" along Gibraltar Street & Moorfields.

However it is now an up and coming student accomodation area and is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

Best of luck. I think you'll enjoy either option.

Another possible route would be to take the 95 bus to Walkely. The Blake Hotel is definitely worth a visit, and I'm told that The Hallamshire House has recently changed hands and is now serving some good real ale. You could then drop down the hill to The Hillsborough Hotel and the Gardeners Rest, which leads you back Kelham Island.

I'd have liked to join you but unfortunately I'll be at work until 9.30 next Monday.

Enjoy!
    Come On You Hatters!

Glass Half Empty

Fantastic, many thanks guys for all the tips. from looking at some of them on the main site I'm really looking forward to this trip...I will try as many of your recommendations as I can manage. Thankfully I don't have too early a start the next day!

Glass Half Empty

Unfortunately, my trip has been put off. It will need to be rescheduled...there is some chance of a longer one, in which case I might be able to try all of your recommendations! If you happen to be around SH it would be really good to meet up - I'll come back to you when I know the date. Thanks again guys

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

We are game for a meet up if we are around when your dates are known. Any excuse for a buzz round Sheffield's finest.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Glass Half Empty

Well, I finally got an overnighter in Sheffield at short notice on Tuesday, and took the opportunity to take some colleagues round Rob's first suggested crawl. We started at the Museum, then headed for the Devonshire Cat (missing out Henry's unfortunately, it looked good when we passed it, but some of us were hungry and we'd decided to eat in the Cat having been recommended it), then the Old House. Two of my colleagues turned in after that, but the remaining colleague and I pressed on to the Bath Hotel. Having stayed for a couple in each pub, things get slightly less clear after that. I can remember not managing to find the Red Deer, but I have no idea where I drank the last couple of pints that are on my list, and the Three Tuns was closed by the time we got back to it.

Was a really good night and we very much enjoyed each of the pubs we went in, so many thanks for the suggestions. I fear however my BOTW this week is going to be quite an agonising decision I also managed three swiftish ones in the Tap before my train came last night, including the 7.2% Thornbridge/Kernel Coalition Burton Ale, a delicious ruby ale I'd not seen before, which rather set me up for the journey back.

I should have more Sheffield trips coming up, so if I get some notice I'll see if anyone's around for a possible meet up.