Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New behind the bar, help!

Spritzer Swallower

Talking New behind the bar, help!

Hi!

I got a job behind the bar at my local and have done 2 shifts so far. I'm still getting to grips with the prices but my main concern is the pint pouring!

I have no problem pouring from the pump with local brews for example, but my pours from the tap are really inconsistent - for example I can pour 2 carlings fine and then the next lot will have no head! Also I poured a fosters and it was half froth... And with guinness I haven't poured yet, but in our pub we do the pour in one pint and I can't find how to do that anywhere.

Any videos/tutorials on pouring? I've observed before but obviously it would be too expensive to be taught how to pour them when nobody's in so any help is appreciated

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

With keg lagers the glass can make a difference, if it's an old or dirty glass it can make the beer pour flat. Always try to use the right branded glass as they are, allegedly, designed for each beer. At the end of the pour return the tap upright then give it a quick push backwards, that will usually put an, albeit short-lived, head on the pint. Resist the temptation to pour a Guinness in one go otherwise you'll end up serving short measures. When ordering a round most people in the know will order the Guinness first so that you have a chance to let it settle. Good luck with the new job.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    With keg lagers the glass can make a difference, if it's an old or dirty glass it can make the beer pour flat. Always try to use the right branded glass as they are, allegedly, designed for each beer. At the end of the pour return the tap upright then give it a quick push backwards, that will usually put an, albeit short-lived, head on the pint. Resist the temptation to pour a Guinness in one go otherwise you'll end up serving short measures. When ordering a round most people in the know will order the Guinness first so that you have a chance to let it settle. Good luck with the new job.
    thanks for that post, really good info in there.

any other tips appreciated, and video/images/things to read about pouring different pints will help!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Spritzer Swallower

brilliant, anything else?

Here's Fuller's own training site for their potential pub keeps.

http://www.funkyrhino.com/TrainingMaterials/_08.htm

And obviously being a London brewery the video shows you how to pull a southern pint of Real Ale...
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Here's Fuller's own training site for their potential pub keeps.

http://www.funkyrhino.com/TrainingMaterials/_08.htm

And obviously being a London brewery the video shows you how to pull a southern pint of Real Ale...
    hmm don't think we do any pints that look like that, i have the pumps down, really just need to get it right with the taps.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    When ordering a round most people in the know will order the Guinness first so that you have a chance to let it settle.
    Apart from those that don't. There's a place reserved in hell for them. Another is reserved for those who, when it's their turn to be served, proceed to ask each of their party one by one what they want and relay the information to you one by one. The last person will want Guinness and when they've finally settled up and you're giving them their credit card slip (cash would be too easy) they'll realise they've forgotten the crisps. By now there'll be at least a dozen people waiting to be served and your full range of diplomatic skills will be required to prevent a lynching.

You can also help yourself by educating your customers in the manner that was discussed in this thread: http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...hlight=railway

Now I think I'm right in saying that having the sparkler up adds air and creates a head. No sparkler flattens the pint. Southern punters may have a different preference to northerners.

These are a few discussion threads where the topic has been aired (geddit?):

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...light=sparkler

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...light=sparkler
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 02-11-2011 at 20:04.
    Waes hael!

Spritzer Swallower

lol