Ads not shown when logged in
Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: New Breweries

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I hope they're better at brewing than they are at writing English.
    I got the impression English wasn't their first language.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    The head brewer mentioned that he'd been up to Yorkshire recently to help install some of their old smaller kit at this microbrewery and that he rated their ales better than those coming out of the Leeds Brewery.
    I'll let you lads be the judge of that...
    I might be out on a limb here, but I do think Leeds Brewery beers haven't really developed since their launch. A common criticism is that they are all rather one dimensional and lack complexity. Midnight Bell and Leeds Pale are decent enough, but when you compare them to the Pale Ale and Black Band Porter brewed by Kirkstall Brewery, a couple of miles down the road, I know what I'd rather drink. I was even underwhelmed by Leeds' single hop series, although probably not helped by the Brewery Tap serving them far too cold as usual.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Default Sir Blondeville 1194

"The novel deal with Nottingham Brewery will see beers branded with the Pub People Company name"
    http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/C...ingham-Brewery
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

According to the local CAMRA mag the decent but slightly weird The Firefly has started brewing its own beers , could be intresting
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I might be out on a limb here, but I do think Leeds Brewery beers haven't really developed since their launch. A common criticism is that they are all rather one dimensional and lack complexity. Midnight Bell and Leeds Pale are decent enough, but when you compare them to the Pale Ale and Black Band Porter brewed by Kirkstall Brewery, a couple of miles down the road, I know what I'd rather drink. I was even underwhelmed by Leeds' single hop series, although probably not helped by the Brewery Tap serving them far too cold as usual.
    I find Leeds Brewery to be a kind of post-Tetley's brewer now that Tetley's is no longer brewed in Yorkshire, in that they are trying not to offend anyone with flavours that might not be understood. I'm quite keen on Pale as a lunchtime beer, but Kirkstall's Pale Ale is much hoppier and flavourful. That it is now semi-permanent at North Bar tells a lot about it. I'm looking forward to Kirkstall re-opening the Bridge pub that I heard they have acquired. It used to be a decent boozer in the mid-2000s but had gone seriously downhill. It'll make the walk down the canal worth it once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    According to the local CAMRA mag the decent but slightly weird The Firefly has started brewing its own beers , could be intresting
    I recognise a couple of those chaps in the pics

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    I find Leeds Brewery to be a kind of post-Tetley's brewer now that Tetley's is no longer brewed in Yorkshire, in that they are trying not to offend anyone with flavours that might not be understood. I'm quite keen on Pale as a lunchtime beer, but Kirkstall's Pale Ale is much hoppier and flavourful. That it is now semi-permanent at North Bar tells a lot about it. I'm looking forward to Kirkstall re-opening the Bridge pub that I heard they have acquired. It used to be a decent boozer in the mid-2000s but had gone seriously downhill. It'll make the walk down the canal worth it once more.
    Inoffensive is probably a pretty good phrase to sum up Leeds Brewery beers, as a whole. Regarding The Bridge Inn, I keep dipping into the Kirkstall website, to see if it's opened, but nothing so far. A tweet at the end of March said that an announcement would be made in the next couple of weeks. I'll probably combine a visit with the nearby West End House, which has just won CAMRA's Winter Pub of the Season award. They look to be making a real effort these days. If you're feeling particularly energetic, you could carry on up the canal to The Abbey Inn at Newlay. Must make an effort to pop in The North Bar, haven't been for years. Mind you, I'll have to be feeling particularly flush.

Two new ones, only one in Yorkshire this time , the other's near Dundee,

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9687...nched_in_York/

http://www.arbroathherald.co.uk/news...ints-1-2275054

Another new one in Yorkshire, well Middlesbrough which we thought we'd got rid of

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...4229-30965144/

First brewery in Croydon since 1954

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n...en_in_Croydon/