Ads not shown when logged in
Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 370

Thread: New Breweries

  1. #291
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I hope they're better at brewing than they are at writing English.
    I got the impression English wasn't their first language.
    'Is life worth living? It all depends on the liver.' William James.

  2. #292
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    The head brewer mentioned that he'd been up to Yorkshire recently to help install some of their old smaller kit at this microbrewery and that he rated their ales better than those coming out of the Leeds Brewery.
    I'll let you lads be the judge of that...
    I might be out on a limb here, but I do think Leeds Brewery beers haven't really developed since their launch. A common criticism is that they are all rather one dimensional and lack complexity. Midnight Bell and Leeds Pale are decent enough, but when you compare them to the Pale Ale and Black Band Porter brewed by Kirkstall Brewery, a couple of miles down the road, I know what I'd rather drink. I was even underwhelmed by Leeds' single hop series, although probably not helped by the Brewery Tap serving them far too cold as usual.
    'Is life worth living? It all depends on the liver.' William James.

  3. #293
    Palookaville hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,844

    Default Sir Blondeville 1194

    "The novel deal with Nottingham Brewery will see beers branded with the Pub People Company name"
    http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/C...ingham-Brewery
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

  4. #294
    Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Gilded Palace of Sin
    Posts
    1,362

    Default

    According to the local CAMRA mag the decent but slightly weird The Firefly has started brewing its own beers , could be intresting
    We are here to drink Beer.....and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us .

  5. #295
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I might be out on a limb here, but I do think Leeds Brewery beers haven't really developed since their launch. A common criticism is that they are all rather one dimensional and lack complexity. Midnight Bell and Leeds Pale are decent enough, but when you compare them to the Pale Ale and Black Band Porter brewed by Kirkstall Brewery, a couple of miles down the road, I know what I'd rather drink. I was even underwhelmed by Leeds' single hop series, although probably not helped by the Brewery Tap serving them far too cold as usual.
    I find Leeds Brewery to be a kind of post-Tetley's brewer now that Tetley's is no longer brewed in Yorkshire, in that they are trying not to offend anyone with flavours that might not be understood. I'm quite keen on Pale as a lunchtime beer, but Kirkstall's Pale Ale is much hoppier and flavourful. That it is now semi-permanent at North Bar tells a lot about it. I'm looking forward to Kirkstall re-opening the Bridge pub that I heard they have acquired. It used to be a decent boozer in the mid-2000s but had gone seriously downhill. It'll make the walk down the canal worth it once more.

  6. #296
    Please give generously Quinno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    1,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    According to the local CAMRA mag the decent but slightly weird The Firefly has started brewing its own beers , could be intresting
    I recognise a couple of those chaps in the pics

  7. #297
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,079

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    I find Leeds Brewery to be a kind of post-Tetley's brewer now that Tetley's is no longer brewed in Yorkshire, in that they are trying not to offend anyone with flavours that might not be understood. I'm quite keen on Pale as a lunchtime beer, but Kirkstall's Pale Ale is much hoppier and flavourful. That it is now semi-permanent at North Bar tells a lot about it. I'm looking forward to Kirkstall re-opening the Bridge pub that I heard they have acquired. It used to be a decent boozer in the mid-2000s but had gone seriously downhill. It'll make the walk down the canal worth it once more.
    Inoffensive is probably a pretty good phrase to sum up Leeds Brewery beers, as a whole. Regarding The Bridge Inn, I keep dipping into the Kirkstall website, to see if it's opened, but nothing so far. A tweet at the end of March said that an announcement would be made in the next couple of weeks. I'll probably combine a visit with the nearby West End House, which has just won CAMRA's Winter Pub of the Season award. They look to be making a real effort these days. If you're feeling particularly energetic, you could carry on up the canal to The Abbey Inn at Newlay. Must make an effort to pop in The North Bar, haven't been for years. Mind you, I'll have to be feeling particularly flush.
    'Is life worth living? It all depends on the liver.' William James.

  8. #298
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,560

    Default

    Two new ones, only one in Yorkshire this time , the other's near Dundee,

    http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9687...nched_in_York/

    http://www.arbroathherald.co.uk/news...ints-1-2275054

    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways drink in hand, shouting "Holy Shit what a ride!"

  9. #299
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    2,560

    Default

    Another new one in Yorkshire, well Middlesbrough which we thought we'd got rid of

    http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/te...4229-30965144/

    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways drink in hand, shouting "Holy Shit what a ride!"

  10. #300
    This Space For Hire Pubsignman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Croydon and occasionally Dorset
    Posts
    726

    Default

    First brewery in Croydon since 1954

    http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/n...en_in_Croydon/

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •