Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brewing Up A Storm? Maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Green Mill have brewed Old Gits again.

They say they just had to tweak it by adding a few Cascade hops.

What they mean is that it's no longer exactly our recipe, so we would have no legal claim on it if it started selling 100 barrels a week.

It should be on the bar in the next week or so.

It would be amusing if the Cascade had changed it significantly and it was now crap.
    Looks like you saw it coming, they should pay you to advise on their hop selection!

Cascade is a stunning but almost universally used hop in alot of the pale citrusy beers you find nowadays, Chinook as you mention is a more powerful and unique bitter hop.

Tried the new Greenmill version of Old Gits last night, it doesn't really work. It's still OK but they've lost the bitterness provided by the Chinook hops.

The Chinook are still in there but they've added 400g of Cascade which has changed it completely.

I was talking to Matt (the brewer) last night and suggested that they drop the Cascade and go back to the original recipe. Let's see what happens with the next brew.
    Just read through this thread for the first time,really interesting,how has it turned out?Is Old Gits still being brewed and has it returned to how it was intended?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Just read through this thread for the first time,really interesting,how has it turned out?Is Old Gits still being brewed and has it returned to how it was intended?
    I think Iv'e just answered my own question, just checked the Greenmill website and seen Old Git amongst their beers,well done.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 23-06-2012 at 09:50.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Old Gits is now one of Green Mills regular beers.

They claim they now use the original recipe, but they don't really.

As I pointed out to Matt, the brewer, if it's the original recipe, how come I can still taste Cascade and the bitter hoppiness from the Chinook is much less pronounced?

I think that they still add Cascade hops, but only about 100g rather than the 400g they added to their first version.

It's still not a bad beer though.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Old Gits is now one of Green Mills regular beers.

They claim they now use the original recipe, but they don't really.

As I pointed out to Matt, the brewer, if it's the original recipe, how come I can still taste Cascade and the bitter hoppiness from the Chinook is much less pronounced?

I think that they still add Cascade hops, but only about 100g rather than the 400g they added to their first version.

It's still not a bad beer though.
    All the same something to be proud of, I'd like to try it some time.
    -W.C.Fields

Green Mill Old Git has been nominated in the Golden Ale category for the Champion Beer Of Britain.

All CAMRA members can vote online.

The winners then go forwards to the tasting panels at the appropriate CBOB Beer Festival.

Piece of p*ss this brewing lark. 1 attempt 1 nomination.

Methink brewers protest too much.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Green Mill Old Git has been nominated in the Golden Ale category for the Champion Beer Of Britain.

All CAMRA members can vote online.

The winners then go forwards to the tasting panels at the appropriate CBOB Beer Festival.

Piece of p*ss this brewing lark. 1 attempt 1 nomination.

Methink brewers protest too much.
    How does this work exactly? I recently voted in this and was presented with a huge list of beers in most categories all from the South East, although Hook Norton isn't South East in my book.
    The funniest thing for me was that Brodie's California was included in the Golden Ales category and as far as I'm aware hasn't been brewed for some two years! I felt compelled to vote for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    How does this work exactly? I recently voted in this and was presented with a huge list of beers in most categories all from the South East, although Hook Norton isn't South East in my book.
    The funniest thing for me was that Brodie's California was included in the Golden Ales category and as far as I'm aware hasn't been brewed for some two years! I felt compelled to vote for it.
    When you sign in you are checked out by the system and it presents you with a local list based on where you told CAMRA you live. Anyone found a printable list of all the beers either nationally or local?

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    When you sign in you are checked out by the system and it presents you with a local list based on where you told CAMRA you live. Anyone found a printable list of all the beers either nationally or local?
    Just done it for the South West. As I understand the local CAMRA branch (mine is Somerset) nominates beers in each category from it's branch. Members can then vote for the beers that all the branches in their particular region have nominated. As its a drop down menu no easy way to get a list, but I was surprised how few beers there seemed to be.

One odd one was Arbors Transpacific Pale Ale appearing in the old ales and strong milds section!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Brodie's California was included in the Golden Ales category and as far as I'm aware hasn't been brewed for some two years!
    As I suspected when I first saw the list they have got the name wrong, it's Californian not Calofornia Old Street Pale replaced it and I'm fairly certain that I haven't seen it for well over two years.