Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wemberley, Wemberley we're all pi**ed up and we're going to Wemberley...

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    This afternoon’s League Cup Final is a re-run of the first final a young 10-year-old HTM69 watched on television: the 1994 ‘Coca-Cola Cup’ Final between, yes, Manchester United and Aston Villa. The mighty reds were in fact not so mighty and got thrashed 3-1 – Mark ‘Sparky’ Hughes getting a consolation, if I recall. Rather ironically, United wore there green-and-yellow Newton Heath commemorative jerseys – bet they won’t be this afternoon!

Anyway, enough of the guff! Come on you reds – Glory, Glory Man Utd!
    I actually attended this final in 1994 with my ex brother in law and still got programme (£5 in 1994 is quite expensive!) It was great experience!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

I’m not really sure who I want to win this afternoon. Being a Spurs supporter I rarely have any interest in Cup Finals

So I’ll give it one of each

My one hope is that my three Fantasy Football players, Dunne, Evra and Rooney, all come through unscathed for when they return to Premier League action.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    A few of us at work were discussing cup finals recently and being of similar age, mid 40's shall we say, we all found we could recall all the FA Cup finals from around 1970 through to the mid 90's, where things start to get hazy. Even recalling the final from last season or the one before unanimously caused us some effort. We couldn't decide why, but the general concensus was that back in the day, the FA Cup final was probably the only live game on TV, if not in a World Cup year, whereas today its live football nearly every day. The rarity of this therefore making the occasion more special.
    I've had similar conversations in the past and you're spot on. From 1970 to mid 80's I could probably name every cup final and probably most goal scorers. Who won last year is a struggle. I could probably still name most of the major First Division team line ups in 1-11 order from the 70's - a bit tricky now.

Always a good question that crops up - who wore the No 7 shirt for Celtic when they won the European Cup?

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I've had similar conversations in the past and you're spot on. From 1970 to mid 80's I could probably name every cup final and probably most goal scorers. Who won last year is a struggle. I could probably still name most of the major First Division team line ups in 1-11 order from the 70's - a bit tricky now.

Always a good question that crops up - who wore the No 7 shirt for Celtic when they won the European Cup?
    No-one! No shirt numbers worn that day, although Jimmy Johnstone wore No 7 on his shorts!

Quote Originally Posted by Youngie View Post
    No-one! No shirt numbers worn that day, although Jimmy Johnstone wore No 7 on his shorts!
    Thats the answer - no-one wore a No 7 shirt - the numbers were on the shorts.

It must get boring winning all the time

I wasn't around in 1942 to see the MIGHTY BEES win the London War Cup and my visits to Wembley have ended in frustration, but I still like the feeling of being happy with a draw unlike some clubs that I could mention!
    Last edited by Strongers; 28-02-2010 at 23:56. Reason: drunk and didn't make sense, probably still doesn't
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Not too many pub stories coming from you Villains who popped down for the weekend. You must be over the result by now - what happened on the beer front?

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default Play up Pompey

Although I will not be attending Pompey at least will be at Wembley, just beaten some team from oop north 2- 0

At least it will be handy for the High Court winding up hearing, save another trip

Hi there,

Had a good weekend apart from the result !! Yes he should have been sent off but ref bottled it. Having said that Man U where the better side.
    We had a tour on Saturday with an all day tube ticket. I have no idea what the last few pubs where though. Started in The Globe then the Metropolitan (Marylebone), then the Argyle Arms oxford circus - gem of a pub. Then the Shakespeares Head - Carnaby Street, Then to Leicester Square for the Wetherspoons and The Sussex. Now it gets a bit hazy. I remember the Crown, Monmouth St and the Crown and Anchor - Both under Strand. After that I am struggling - I didn't get to bed until nearly 4 !!.
    Sunday we stayed in Harrow for a while. The Moon at 10 feeling rough. Then O'Neills, Trinity and the Junction before getting some cans and over to Wembley. A couple in the ground (£4 for a bottle) and back to Moon in Harrow for a few.
    Left the hotel bar at 8.30. A few cans on the coach and back to the Moon in Cradley Heath for the last hour. I got home at about 1 absolutely exhausted !!
    Glad I had Monday off work !!!
    Now all we need to do is beat Reading tomorrow and I can do it all again !!

Cheers,

Del.

PS- Can I have my Villa smiley back ?? I wanted that as my signature !!