Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wemberley, Wemberley we're all pi**ed up and we're going to Wemberley...

Real Ale Drinker

Wembley will rip the seat out of your pants be sure with that, i was part of the recent "Take That Circus Tour" and the prices were ridiculous,saying that Cardiff and Dublin were also guilty of hiking the prices which seems so unfair,Sunderland and Coventry boozers were very good and Manchester was brilliant we found a great watering hole in Trafford Park the landlady used to pick us up we had use of the showers and the lock inns were brilliant.
    Good luck to Villa but i have a sneaky feeling fergies boys are going to be at wembley all guns blazing looking to capture the trophy and a few thousand to pay of there mammoth debt.

My local team Tamworth are still in FA Trophy (Non league's FA Cup version). We are currently in 3rd round and if we go all the way then final will be at no other than Wembley!

Tamworth have played at Wembley before in 1989 when they played AFC Sudbury in FA Cup final, drew 0-0 and in replayed match at Peterborough, we beat them 3-0.

Our FA Trophy match with Gainsborough is on Tuesday night..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    ...and how is young David Button getting on - I hear he has saved the Shrews a few times since he's been there.
    Playing well by all accounts , may have to get off my backside and start going again , in 30 years i only missed about a dozen games at the Gay Meadow , yet to set foot in the new ground

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Firstly congratulations - a Wembley final is a fantastic occasion, win or lose.

Bad move re drinking at Wembley though! Wembley is truly appaling for pubs. Most of them also hike up their prices on event days and even Wetherspoons charge £3 a pint across the board when there is a match or concert on at the Stadium, not that you will get served in there anyway. If you really have to choose one then I would suggest the Green Man - they do a couple of ales but are also guilty of cashing on with price hikes. There is a huge garden if the weather is OK and they usually have a barbie going. The only other slight recommendation, purely because they can handle the crowds, is the First Class Sports Bar near Wembley Park station (not currently on PG but I will sort that out) - the bar itself isn't very big but they have a massive marquee at the rear with plenty of seating, plasma screens etc and service is pretty good. No ales and it was £3.50 a pint when I was last there over a year ago so expect £3.60/£3.70 for a lager (there ain't much else). The other thing worth noting is that the police usually segregate the pubs so you will be limited in what area of Wembley you can drink in. I will endeavour to stick some of my old Wembley pub reviews on the site (they won't have changed for the better since I wrote them) but personally I think you are better off getting the tube into town (Marylebone / Baker Street area will have a few football friendly pubs) and then coming back to Wembley for the game.
    I went to the Green Man in 94 against United, The Greyhound in 96 against Leeds and Thirsty Eddies in 2000 against Bolton. I would like to go in the Spoons to get my count up and stay ahead of Hoppy. It is a total rip off around the ground. In 2000 against Chelsea we stayed in the Moon on the Hill in Harrow for a while.
    I haven't been to Marylebone since I went to Highbury some years ago so that is a possibility for the Saturday afternoon session.
    This time I hope to avoid dodgy strip bars in Kings Cross as I am taking my 70 year old father with me !!!

Cheers,

Del.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    My local team Tamworth are still in FA Trophy (Non league's FA Cup version). We are currently in 3rd round and if we go all the way then final will be at no other than Wembley!

Tamworth have played at Wembley before in 1989 when they played AFC Sudbury in FA Cup final,
    Er, are you really sure about this!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I think they were Sudbury Town then - but i dont quite think it was the FA Cup final - mind you, it could be more outlandish, he could have said Birmingham City!

I have only been to the New Meadow once Oggy - a bit of a walk out - saw Shrews v Accrington (who are they? - exactly)
    MILD:

I went to the New Meadow (or is it the Prostar Stadium?) a few weeks ago when they played Bury as part of my efforts in going to all 92 grounds. Probably the worst game I have seen this season. Pubs were good though!

I have been to the new Wembley 24 times - 22 matches and 2 gigs - next visit will be the England v Egypt game. As for the old Wembley, I clocked up 123 matches, 28 gigs and a stadium tour!

In my 1,861 matches so far (yes I have a record of each one), Tamworth are the only Conference team I have never seen play although technically I have never seen Hayes & Yeading since they merged.

Real Ale Drinker

Well done Man Utd another injury time goal sets up an interesting confrontation with Villa..will be a great day and something to look forward to..who will win? wouldnt like to say Villa are a very good team who have caused United a few problems in the past and they will be up for it, interesting day to come.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly-Miss View Post
    Well done Man Utd another injury time goal sets up an interesting confrontation with Villa..will be a great day and something to look forward to..who will win? wouldnt like to say Villa are a very good team who have caused United a few problems in the past and they will be up for it, interesting day to come.
    Come on the VILLA!
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

A couple of new (rather large) smileys added till after the final when I will retire them.