Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wemberley, Wemberley we're all pi**ed up and we're going to Wemberley...

Default Wemberley, Wemberley we're all pi**ed up and we're going to Wemberley...

Hi all,

Well what a night it was last Wednesday at Villa Park. I was rough for a day and a half but it was worth it.

Now I have a trip to the capital to look forward to. The hotel is booked in Harrow so I have all Saturday free to tour the pubs.

Any recommendations that should not be missed ??

I will probably spend Sunday dinner in the Wembley area building up to the game.

Cheers,

Del.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Hi all,
    I will probably spend Sunday dinner in the Wembley area building up to the game.
    Firstly congratulations - a Wembley final is a fantastic occasion, win or lose.

Bad move re drinking at Wembley though! Wembley is truly appaling for pubs. Most of them also hike up their prices on event days and even Wetherspoons charge £3 a pint across the board when there is a match or concert on at the Stadium, not that you will get served in there anyway. If you really have to choose one then I would suggest the Green Man - they do a couple of ales but are also guilty of cashing on with price hikes. There is a huge garden if the weather is OK and they usually have a barbie going. The only other slight recommendation, purely because they can handle the crowds, is the First Class Sports Bar near Wembley Park station (not currently on PG but I will sort that out) - the bar itself isn't very big but they have a massive marquee at the rear with plenty of seating, plasma screens etc and service is pretty good. No ales and it was £3.50 a pint when I was last there over a year ago so expect £3.60/£3.70 for a lager (there ain't much else). The other thing worth noting is that the police usually segregate the pubs so you will be limited in what area of Wembley you can drink in. I will endeavour to stick some of my old Wembley pub reviews on the site (they won't have changed for the better since I wrote them) but personally I think you are better off getting the tube into town (Marylebone / Baker Street area will have a few football friendly pubs) and then coming back to Wembley for the game.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

i just want a ticket - would even go without beer - mind you, as Roger says, Wembley pubs are awful
    MILD:

Just remembered the Torch - half decent if Wembley decent is anything to go by and they don't (or didn't) rip the punters off. A few reviews now added - there are a few Irish bars if Guinness and Magners is your thing (hopefully not together). Mannions, Crock Of Gold, The Parish (not listed on PG) and Thirsty Eddies are all much of a muchness - review one and you've reviewed them all, and as I am not a fan of Irish bars they don't carry any great recommendation from me. The Greyhound was always a popular (but still rubbish) pub but was closed on my last visit a few months ago and possibly still is.

Great to see Villa at Wembley just sad Lynne could not see it.She was a great fan,owned some shares and proud her grandad, Tommy Weston ,played for the Cup wining team in the 1920's. There will be plenty of the Weston bloodline to to shout for them.
    To everyone going to the match have a fantastic day out.

Of course if City get there as well we could have some interesting cyber banter between you Villa chaps and Trainman (who is sensibly keeping schtum about having one foot in the door). I'm not actually sure who I would want to win - I generally don't mind either club and both are long overdue a trophy, more so in City's case. If it is Villa v Utd then no problem where my allegience will be for the afternoon.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Much better to drink in Marleybone and catch train to Wembley , its what we did at the play off final .

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Much better to drink in Marleybone and catch train to Wembley , its what we did at the play off final .
    ...and how is young David Button getting on - I hear he has saved the Shrews a few times since he's been there.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    If it is Villa v Utd then no problem where my allegience will be for the afternoon.
    Ahh, cheers Roger - knew we could count on your support to stuff the brummies

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    Ahh, cheers Roger - knew we could count on your support to stuff the brummies
    No chance! You win enough already and with all the additional time Fergie will want if they are losing, the game might not be finished in time for me to go to work the next day.