Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Desborough, Northants

Default Desborough, Northants

I am confused about the listing in Desborough, Northants. I was there yesterday and saw two pubs, but we have three listed: The George, The Oak Tree and The Kings Arms. All three have the same address, High Street, and postcode NN14 2ND.

The Kings Arms is a Grade II listed building, whose correct address appears to be 1 Station Road, though Royal Mail does not list it as such. The reference on the British Listed Buildings website is slightly garbled, in that the number 111 is appended to the building's name. Interestingly, this is the street address of the Oak Tree, which is also claimed to be Grade II listed, though not on the British Listed Buildings website!

The George is on the corner of High Street and Station road, so would be 1 Station Road (suggesting it was formerly the Kings Arms) if it wasn't listed elsewhere as 79 High Street.

In addition, I have found planning applications for the Kings Arms dating to 2003, giving the address High Street (no number) so if either the George or the Oak Tree were formerly the Kings Arms, it's a fairly recent change, but I have not been able to find a reference to it.

In short, I believe the Kings Arms is a duplicate of either the Oak Tree or more likely the George, so probably ought to be deleted, as there are no photos or reviews and I cannot find it either on the ground or on Google maps street view. Hope you are able to follow the explanation.

Please add the appropriate street numbers to the addresses of the remaining two pubs.

Cheers
    Come On You Hatters!

I'll stay on me own

Hi sheffield hatter,

In 1990 there were only two pubs in Desborough The George was a stone built pub / hotel and it was on the corner of high street and station road,this pub was operating as a free house with real ales on.

The Kings Arms was also on high street and was a different pub to the George.

There was no pub called the Oak Tree in Desborough at this time.

I hope this helps

Cheers Alan

Thanks Alan. It looks like the info re the Kings Arms being at 1 Station Road is faulty, then, and the Oak Tree must be the former Kings Arms.

Cheers
    Come On You Hatters!

Administrator

Hi sheffield hatter,

We have deleted The Kings Arms and added some numbers to the others.

Thanks for those.