Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: The £10.00 pint has arrived.

Default The £10.00 pint has arrived.

Today I visited the Cock Tavern in Hackney for the first time to discover that they are selling Brodie's Whisky Barrel Aged Romanov Stout on keykeg for £5 a half. Only a week ago I was drinking the same thing in the William IV for £3.30 a pint and before Easter this year was drinking a different incarnation of the beer on cask for £1.99 a pint!

To be fair to the pub, they were selling cask versions of their own beer for £3.10 and £3.30 which I gather is pretty normal outside the Spoons bubble.
    They also had a Dark Star Imperial stout (10.5%) on cask at £6.60 a pint which I would liked to have tried but is just too expensive for me.

Again, to be fair to the pub I really did like it (prices aside) as like it's sister pub in Gospel Oak it is a spit and sawdust place totally devoted to beer and cider. I would quite like to come here on a hot summers day to give the ciders a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Today I visited the Cock Tavern in Hackney for the first time to discover that they are selling Brodie's Whisky Barrel Aged Romanov Stout on keykeg for £5 a half. Only a week ago I was drinking the same thing in the William IV for £3.30 a pint and before Easter this year was drinking a different incarnation of the beer on cask for £1.99 a pint!

To be fair to the pub, they were selling cask versions of their own beer for £3.10 and £3.30 which I gather is pretty normal outside the Spoons bubble.
    They also had a Dark Star Imperial stout (10.5%) on cask at £6.60 a pint which I would liked to have tried but is just too expensive for me.

Again, to be fair to the pub I really did like it (prices aside) as like it's sister pub in Gospel Oak it is a spit and sawdust place totally devoted to beer and cider. I would quite like to come here on a hot summers day to give the ciders a go.
    A pub on my to do list , but those prices are taking the pi55.as is the £5.20 pint of Brodies Citra (keg) here if the report is true, shocking.
    p.s the Darkstar Imperial Stout is a wondrous ale,last tried 2 or 3 years ago at the White Horse Parsons Green.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 14-12-2012 at 19:52.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    A pub on my to do list , but those prices are taking the pi55.as is the £5.20 pint of Brodies Citra (keg) here if the report is true, shocking.
    p.s the Darkstar Imperial Stout is a wondrous ale,last tried 2 or 3 years ago at the White Horse Parsons Green.
    They had the Citra on in the Cock and I assumed that it would be the same sort of price as their own bog-standard stuff.

I have never seen Citra on anything other than cask and as far as I'm aware there are certain standard beers that they do that are ALWAYS on cask, Citra, London Fields and Bethnal Green for example. Similarily there are three or more regulars that are nowadays always on Keykeg, Dalston Black, Hackney Red and Hoxton Special (all American style IPAs).

I can't speak for the brewer but somehow I doubt the veracity of this. If it is true then it IS disgraceful, but does the Evening Star do keykeg beers? The one time I have been there keykeg hadn't been invented!
    I don't think the "top pressure" system of old exists any more, but I may be wrong.

This Space For Hire

Have definitely seen a drop off in the expensive Brewdog Manchester trade, from walking past. Usually on an evening it has 40 or so punters in but recently it has begun looking like your average pub, with just enough trade to break even.

I've done a £10 pint before at Leeds' North Bar American festival a couple of years back. A 10% brew, of which I only had a half. It had travelled all the way from California so I justified it that way...

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

This Space For Hire

i got charged £6 a half in a pub last week for an 8% beer after having a rant at the manager who explained it had expensve ingredients and was a strong beer.after telling him he was taking the piss one of the barstaff pointed out that it should have been £6 a pint.now thats more like it.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    They had the Citra on in the Cock and I assumed that it would be the same sort of price as their own bog-standard stuff.

I have never seen Citra on anything other than cask and as far as I'm aware there are certain standard beers that they do that are ALWAYS on cask, Citra, London Fields and Bethnal Green for example. Similarily there are three or more regulars that are nowadays always on Keykeg, Dalston Black, Hackney Red and Hoxton Special (all American style IPAs).

I can't speak for the brewer but somehow I doubt the veracity of this. If it is true then it IS disgraceful, but does the Evening Star do keykeg beers? The one time I have been there keykeg hadn't been invented!
    I don't think the "top pressure" system of old exists any more, but I may be wrong.
    i agree with you .i doubt if Brodies would put Cirta on keg.only the stronger beers get put on keg.either he misheard the price or it wasnt Citra or maybe the pub just priced it wrongly.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    i agree with you .i doubt if Brodies would put Cirta on keg.only the stronger beers get put on keg.either he misheard the price or it wasnt Citra or maybe the pub just priced it wrongly.
    They do put some weaker ones on keykeg, the fruit sour beers being recent examples and I think they've done a lager on keykeg. What it may have been was the Single Hop 5% Citra Pale. This is now one of I believe ten or more single hop beers which have been put out on cask and keykeg. As a general rule I don't give keykeg the time of day unless the ABV is in double figures and ONLY in the William.