Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One door opens & another closes

Default One door opens & another closes

I've reported elsewhere the reopening of The Sheaf in Sheffield, now a real ale house called... The Ale House. Also today, the Sheffield Telegraph reports the permanent closure of the historic Robin Hood in Little Matlock on the edge of Sheffield.

I must admit to only having been in this pub three or four times in the nearly 14 years I've lived in Sheffield, so I clearly share some of the blame for its demise, but it has to be said that it's seriously remote. I went there a couple of years back with some friends of mine from Dunstable who were up here for a visit. We caught the tram to Malin Bridge and set off to walk to the Robin Hood. After about half a mile there was a sign at the side of the road: "This way to the Robin Hood - 800 yards". This was encouraging, as one of my friends was recovering from an operation and wasn't really up to a long walk. After another ten minutes, we saw another sign: "This way to the Robin Hood - 700 yards". (We weren't walking that slowly.) One of these signs was clearly being economical with the truth. Unfortunately it was the first sign that was the liar.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 01-09-2011 at 22:32. Reason: Typo
    Come On You Hatters!

Amid the doom and gloom of pub closures there is the occasional bright spark to illuminate the horizon. A newish PubCo called Antic http://www.antic-ltd.com/ are looking to revitalise areas of ale-free London blighted by poor pubs by selecting traditional pubs, some of which are on their last legs, and restoring them back to former glories. I had already noticed improvements on recent visits to some of their pubs (the Dogstar in Brixton being one) without actually knowing anything the company so all power to them - the results of their labours and vision has being noted!

Their latest project is the Red Lion in Leytonstone, formally a South African themed night club called Zulus. They have apparently restored its Victorian splendour and offer a good selection of ales (I know the new Kent brewery have delivered some of their stuff to them which is good enough to make me pay it a visit at some time). A welcome change in trends in an area of numerous pub closures and never exactly a hotbed for decent beers. With the King William IV (home of Brodies beers) and a couple of other reasonable pubs within walking distance, Leytonstone now has something to offer the more discerning drinker.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

http://www.antic-ltd.com/
    I've seen the banner for Knowles (West Norwood), & 'Beer Parlour' sounds promising in a relative ale desert

Aah yes, West Norwood. Is a pint of Young's Bitter still the best one can Hope for?

I read somewhere (London Drinker possibly) that when Antic re-open The Greyhound in Sydenham they intend to re-instate the original Victorian tiling that had been removed in the past. Antic are certainly a pub plus factor, but the only slight disappointment for someone like me who likes to start early in the day is that their pubs tend not to open until 4.00 PM

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Aah yes, West Norwood. Is a pint of Young's Bitter still the best one can Hope for?
    Generally yes, and £3.35 is way over the odds round here. That said, the Hope had Bath Summer Daze as a guest at £2 on Fri, and London Gold at the same price. A rare but pleasing offer.

Antic have just opened another good sounding pub - the former Walkabout (amongst other things) in Battersea has been reopened as the Battersea Mess & Music Hall - 10 ales form "Big Names to Microbrews" according to my Facebook update from them. I feel a trip coming up.

The Cricketers Arms opposite Sheffield United's Bramall Lane stadium was an old Stones pub that for many years was a music venue that was allowed to deteriorate, and subsequently seemed to be open only on match days, until finally giving up the ghost a couple of years ago.

It has now reopened, with a lick of paint and looking much smarter, and selling beers from Kelham Island Brewery. It is clearly being aimed at the local student population rather than the football crowd, with special discounts for students, including cask ales at less than £2 a pint. I'll go in for a look around once freshers week is over.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    The Cricketers Arms... has now reopened... I'll go in for a look around once freshers week is over.
    I notice the Sheaf View at Heeley is just down the road. Have you ever been? An acquaintance reckons it's the knees of the bee and as good as any of the more famous pubs in the centre. Possible double header?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I notice the Sheaf View at Heeley is just down the road. Have you ever been? An acquaintance reckons it's the knees of the bee and as good as any of the more famous pubs in the centre. Possible double header?
    Definitely worth a visit. Excellent choice of well-kept beers at reasonable prices. Although it's a bit out of the way, you could certainly combine it with the Cricketers and I would also suggest the White Lion, for its interesting interior as much as for the beer.

Unfortunately I've not been to either since I started doing reviews here, so you have a chance to be the first.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Their latest project is the Red Lion in Leytonstone, formally a South African themed night club called Zulus. They have apparently restored its Victorian splendour and offer a good selection of ales (I know the new Kent brewery have delivered some of their stuff to them which is good enough to make me pay it a visit at some time). A welcome change in trends in an area of numerous pub closures and never exactly a hotbed for decent beers. With the King William IV (home of Brodies beers) and a couple of other reasonable pubs within walking distance, Leytonstone now has something to offer the more discerning drinker.
    Yes indeed. As a local I can honestly say the Red Lion reopening has been the best thing to happen to Leytonstone in the 9 or so years we've lived here. It's not been restored to its original high Victoriana though - it's all bare bricks and floorboards with architectural salvage. After many careless owners I don't think there was much left to restore.