Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bouncers On The Door

My God, if the Flyer had to employ bouncers,I'd know it was time to sign the Pledge.Country pubs aside, I'm afraid they are a sign of the times, not welcome though.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

The usage of 'door staff' is definately on the increase, and some of this is being driven by local council rules.
    A couple of examples are
    1) Pubs applying for late licences round my way sometimes have to agree to control numbers and more importantly noise, and if they fail to do so (e.g. get complaints from local residents ), no more licence extensions. So they employ doorman to help the pub abide by the T's and C's, and this is well run pubs as well as rough ones.
    2) Likewise, in Central london, Westminster Council employ strict rules and regulations on outside drinking, going as far as painting white lines on the pavement outside several pubs in Mayfair for example. And if a pub imfringes it could be in trouble with its licence, so several now employ doormen whose primary function is to make sure people stay within the white lines on decent weather days.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    The usage of 'door staff' is definately on the increase, and some of this is being driven by local council rules.
    A couple of examples are
    1) Pubs applying for late licences round my way sometimes have to agree to control numbers and more importantly noise, and if they fail to do so (e.g. get complaints from local residents ), no more licence extensions. So they employ doorman to help the pub abide by the T's and C's, and this is well run pubs as well as rough ones.
    My point exactly Gann. The Baum is open until 12 on Friday & Saturday and according to the local council this is a late licence which means that they have to employ a bouncer on those 2 nights.

Not from 11 to 12 though, oh no. They have to employ him from 8 p.m.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    It puts me off. Bouncer on the door to me is like hanging a big sign outside saying "This pub is trouble." The bigger and more threatening the bouncers look (and many in that trade look barely human) the less likely I am to go in.
    I have to disagree with your post Nick,

These days they are not called bouncers that was a saying back in the 80s,they are now called doormen and have to go through proper training to do this hard and unrewarding job.
    I know this because my daughter is going out with a doorman who does the doors of pubs in Nottingham city centre,this doorman has a name and is a decent human being even if he is 6 ft 7in and built like a brick sh** house.

I have to agree with Rob most pubs that have doormen only have them because the council says so, and on my many visits to lots of pubs i have only had friendly helpfull advise about what i am about to walk into.
    So to sum it up i am not bothered if there are doormen or not i will still go in the pub.

Even the local Wetherspoons has door Persons on Friday & Saturday usually Two Large well built woman Ive seen them chuck out many of lippy Kids that think there it. It makes them look right Pratt's when they get thrown out by the woman. The reason they have woman on the door is they can better handle the drunken girls which seem worse than most men.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    A couple of examples are
    2) Likewise, in Central london, Westminster Council employ strict rules and regulations on outside drinking, going as far as painting white lines on the pavement outside several pubs in Mayfair for example. And if a pub imfringes it could be in trouble with its licence, so several now employ doormen whose primary function is to make sure people stay within the white lines on decent weather days.
    They probably save more on insurance premiums than the bouncers' wages cost.

We have security at work and he's about 5' 3", but I bet having presence reduces the insurance premiums by 100k or more.

The Scarbrogh Hotel in Leeds not only has bouncers but usually around 4 police cars/vans/horses outside on match day. Let it put you off, and go to the Hop instead where you can get a tastier paler ale than you ever find in Scabs.

I am highly put off by "Door Staff" because of the feeling that they are needed in spite of the the fact some are there only because of local council rules. I judge each case individualy as whether to enter the pub or walk on.
    One particular incident that increased my dislike was after reception in Manchester my wife and I tried to enter a Wetherspoons pub. She was wearing evening clothes and a smart hat. As she passed between two "bouncers" (I use the word on purpose in this case), one of them abruptly put out an arm blocking her path and shouted "No 'Ats!". Rather upset, she chose to leave her hat on and we moved elsewhere. Only an isolated case and I know they are not all the same but you do tend to remember these incidents when seeing door staff.

Administrator

Off topic, but just to say Hi to AlanH. A big thank you for all the contributions to the main site, feel free to ask any questions here.

Hope you enjoy your stay,

Conrad

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    I am highly put off by "Door Staff" because of the feeling that they are needed in spite of the the fact some are there only because of local council rules. I judge each case individualy as whether to enter the pub or walk on.
    One particular incident that increased my dislike was after reception in Manchester my wife and I tried to enter a Wetherspoons pub. She was wearing evening clothes and a smart hat. As she passed between two "bouncers" (I use the word on purpose in this case), one of them abruptly put out an arm blocking her path and shouted "No 'Ats!". Rather upset, she chose to leave her hat on and we moved elsewhere. Only an isolated case and I know they are not all the same but you do tend to remember these incidents when seeing door staff.
    A big part of the problem is that they are not permitted the tiniest bit of discretion. Hence the stories we can all recite about ordinary middle aged and older blokes forbidden entry to pubs on account of them wearing trainers.