Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bouncers On The Door

Default Bouncers On The Door

In another thread Sheffield Hatter states that he has a policy of never going into a pub that has a bouncer on the door.

I mention that sadly this means that he wouldn't go into The Baum on a Friday or Saturday night then. The town centre management insist that they have a bouncer on, they don't really need one, but there's no choice.

This place The Old House also has a bouncer on the door at weekends, but this is to stop the dipsticks from nearby West Street going in, rather than any problem inside the pub. This means that the experience inside the pub is better. So the bouncer is a positive in my opinion in this case.

I'd struggle to visit most pubs in Rochdale and many in Manchester/Sheffield/Leeds/Derby/Nottingham/York/Newcastle/Liverpool etc if I applied that rule.

What does everyone else think?

Does having a bouncer on the door put you off? Or is it just a fact of life these days?
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 20-09-2011 at 12:11.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire

It puts me off. Bouncer on the door to me is like hanging a big sign outside saying "This pub is trouble." The bigger and more threatening the bouncers look (and many in that trade look barely human) the less likely I am to go in.

The majority of my drinking is based around visits to fitba and horseracing so at weekend fixtures bouncers tend to come with the flow and wouldn't put me off entering a pub.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

As most of my drinking is during the day I haven't come across a lot of bouncers, but remember a Saturday crawl round Derby before I knew my way around when I found them useful for directions to the next pub, even letting me know if only a back door would be open.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Most of my drinking is in daylight hours, and I suspect my choice of pubs does not warrant one anyway, so I have not seen a bouncer on the door.

However "I agree with Nick" [ha managed to get that political one in ] and a bouncer to me would indicate possible trouble I can do without

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Does having a bouncer on the door put you off? Or is it just a fact of life these days?
    Whilst part of me admires 'SHs' ideals, I agree with ROB that for most city centre pubs it's a fact of life, often based on nothing more than mere location, unfortunately being on some 'run' or other. If there was a pub I wanted to visit, with staff on the door, I'd still go ahead. Having said that, I suppose I still self regulate, by not usually drinking in town on a Friday or Saturday night, preferring teatime, or a mellow Sunday afternoon session.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I have always found the bouncers on the doors at the Old Joint Stock in Brum very welcoming and polite - it is the bar staff that tend to be more miserable.

If i could add - If you saw two glamorous make-up plastered ladies in skimpy clothes at the door - would that put you off?
    MILD:

I understand where SH is coming from, but the need for bouncers tends to be determined by the pub's location - hence many High Street pubs of good repute will have bouncers to keep out the rowdier elements from nearby Yates/Walkabout/Reflex etc...

If I've been to a pub before or have heard good things about it from this site, the sight of bouncers would not put me off, but I can appreciate that if you turn up in a town you don't know and are faced with a choice of two pubs - one with a bouncer and one without - you would be more likely to pick the one without, due to the negative connotations associated with needing doormen.

I'd be far more likely to avoid pubs that employ toilet attendants than bouncers.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I'd struggle to visit most pubs in Rochdale and many in Manchester/Sheffield/Leeds/Derby/Nottingham/York/Newcastle/Liverpool etc if I applied that rule.
    Like A&H, I mostly don't go out on Friday and Saturday nights, especially in the parts of Sheffield where pubs are likely to employ bouncers, i.e. West St/Glossop Rd/Division St/Devonshire St. Having said that, I've never seen a bouncer used at the Bath Hotel or the Red Deer, which are only a few steps away from the main drag.

I suppose if it's a pub you know and you're aware that the policy is conducive to a congenial atmosphere, then fine, but otherwise I tend to agree with Nick too.

A few years ago, when the Hatters were playing Leeds Utd away, I turned up with some friends from Bedfordshire wearing a Luton Town baseball cap, and was stopped from going into The Scarbrough Hotel about two hours before kick-off. My friends and I stood around debating where to go instead, whereupon the bouncer just told me to take my cap off and then let us in. Which just goes to show that every rule is there to be broken.
    Come On You Hatters!

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Most of the pubs around here that have bouncers are kiddies lager barns , although there is a local by-law that pubs(above a certain capacity) must have bouncers when hosting live music .
    Only time bouncers have put me off entering a pub was a few years ago in Hanley , Stoke on Trent when a bouncer was having his eye lid stiched up at 12 15 in the afternoon i gave it a miss
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !