Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 18 September 2011)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

The good news this week is that I managed to stumble upon a Magic Rock 'Meet The Brewer' session at The Bull & Fairhouse, Wakefield yesterday afternoon. The bad news is the taxi arrived to take the brewery team away, just as I walked through the door! However, I was able to quickly offer some rather gushing praise and state how popular the beers were with those members of PuG who'd tried them.

Tried this week:
    Fox Beer Co - Arctic Fox.
    Acorn - Barnsley Gold.
    Mallinsons - Mount Pleasant Mild.
    Roosters - Cheers.
    Fyne - Vital Spark.
    Elland - Merry Whistle Blower.
    Magic Rock - High Wire.
    Magic Rock - Rapture.
    Magic Rock - Curious.
    Magic Rock - Dark Arts.
    Wensleydale - Black Dub.
    Fernandes - Hop Master.
    Fullers - Red Fox.
    George Wright - Northern Lights.

The Black Dub and Vital Spark may well have won in an average week, but Magic Rock beers are just outstanding. Very difficult to separate Dark Arts and High Wire, but the latter was on stunning form.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Very peaceful week this week after our recent trips to Nottingham, Leeds & Sheffield and I've only been in The Baum & the Regal Moon all week.

BOTW is going to go to Green Mill Talisman tried at the Baum, light & hoppy, but not a hopbomb which means I can manage more than one.

George Wright Ecky Thump & Goose Eye Chinook both tried at the Regal Moon get an honourable mention as runners up.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Best of only two ales last week very limited choice. BURTON BRIDGE STAFFORDSHIRE KNOT Brown Ale 4.8 abv
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

I'll stay on me own

I know i am very late but my beer of the week for last week,this was Castle Rock Harvest Pale tried in the Stanhope Arms in Stanton by dale,this was a very drinkable beer so i had a quick four pints.

Gonna throw in a surprise here. Since the thread is Beer of the Week and not Best Beer of the Week, I'm going to nominate Young's Ordinary. Yep, you read it right. The reason is that on the Friday I went to see a friends band down the Belvedere Hotel in, er, Belvedere, not a hotbed for pubs at the best of times. My only previous visit was several years ago when I had a ropey pint of Greene King IPA. As you can imagine I wasn't expecting much and the only choice on this occasion was the Youngs Ordinary (there was a reversed Bombardier clip as well). Not exactly a favorite pint of mine and given the quality of Belvedere pubs I was expecting it to be just about drnkable at best but I have to say it was probably the best pint of the stuff I have ever had, and at £2.50 a pint, very reasonable. So that's it. Not the best pint I had all week but certainly the most surprising and well done to the Belvedere Arms. I'll be back in about 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Gonna throw in a surprise here. Since the thread is Beer of the Week and not Best Beer of the Week, I'm going to nominate Young's Ordinary. Yep, you read it right.
    Ha - Young's Ordinary was going to be my BOTW too! However, I do enjoy this beer anyway (especially when it's free with a voucher from the Evening Standard and it is being drunk in a relaxed Thames-side pub on a very pleasant late Friday afternoon after a hard week's work...).

This Space For Hire

[QUOTE=aleandhearty;37008]The good news this week is that I managed to stumble upon a Magic Rock 'Meet The Brewer' session at The Bull & Fairhouse, Wakefield yesterday afternoon. The bad news is the taxi arrived to take the brewery team away, just as I walked through the door! However, I was able to quickly offer some rather gushing praise and state how popular the beers were with those members of PuG who'd tried them.

Tried this week:
    Fox Beer Co - Arctic Fox.
    Acorn - Barnsley Gold.
    Mallinsons - Mount Pleasant Mild.
    Roosters - Cheers.
    Fyne - Vital Spark.
    Elland - Merry Whistle Blower.
    Magic Rock - High Wire.
    Magic Rock - Rapture.
    Magic Rock - Curious.
    Magic Rock - Dark Arts.
    Wensleydale - Black Dub.
    Fernandes - Hop Master.
    Fullers - Red Fox.
    George Wright - Northern Lights.

The Black Dub and Vital Spark may well have won in an average week, but Magic Rock beers are just outstanding. Very difficult to separate Dark Arts and High Wire, but the latter was on stunning form.[/QUOTE

Try their Human Cannonball.

I have never had a different beer where I took a sip and said, wow, that is beer heaven.

Camra wouldn't approve though so I suppose that makes it a bad beer?