Visit the a swift one site

It was not really part of my planning for the weekend to call at the 'Drop' Festival in Elland, but circumstances meant I managed a quick call yesterday afternoon. The pub is one of the Ossett chain, and probably one that is most overlooked due to its location, but is a nice, little back street beerhouse, which is larger than it looks from the outside, and boasts a pleasant outside drinking area, and it is listed in the '2012 Beer Guide'.

As for the festival. Well I found that a little disappointing. There were around 15 beers available from the list at any one time, all handpulled and served from the bar itself, at £2.50 a pint. No entry fee and no festival glasses, but on my visit the range of beers were nothing out of the ordinary for a beer 'ticker'. The range itself did cover everyone's taste, from Elland's '1872 Porter' down to Woodforde's 'Wherry' with Kelham Island 'Pale Rider' and Roosters 'Elderflower' thrown in the mix.

I settled down with a Wensleydale 'White Heather', an unremarkable beer, and my companion with the 'Wherry' which I have tasted on better form. I followed this with Mauldens 'Dickens', an old beer that I rarely see, but that was a little too malty for my taste, and Amber Ales 'Summer Bock' which was just weird. Sadly, neither of the citra beers from Oakham or Acorn were on the bar on my visit, nor was the Saltaire 'Cheeky Kriek' which had the description pink in the programme.

All in all, as I said, from my point of view, a bit of a let down, but should you just be visiting to sample a different range of beers then I am sure there would be something to appeal to make your trip out worthwhile.

More...