Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which pub is the most photographed?

Default Which pub is the most photographed?

I was checking out Ale's review of the Gatehouse in Highgate and I noticed that there are 48 images uploaded of it... This must be the most snapped pub on here, or is it?
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Former Pubs Galore Coder

You picked the winner:
    The Gatehouse, Highgate (49 Images)

Followed by:
    The Liberty Bounds, Fenchurch Street (43 Images)
    Ye Olde Crown, Rayleigh (40 Images)
    The Globe, Bishopsgate (37 Images)
    The Monument, Fenchurch Street (37 Images)

A right bunch of Happy Snappers are our London drinkers. Must be something they put in the water they put in the beer ! Better put in a smiley in before a North versus South war breaks out.

Personally, I think having too many pictures that are virtually the same is a bit distracting. Just how many exterior shots of the Gatehouse do we need? About 20 are surplus to requirements. Same with the Liberty Bounds and the picture of Tower Bridge is a bit misleading in that it implies this is a view from the pub (one of the Tower of London shots would have been taken from outside the pub so that's fair game). Before I upload a picture I do at least try to think if it will add any value to the page.

Hi all,

Do you ever decide not to approve a photo because it doesn't add anything new ? For instance if I visited and took a photo of a pub on the same day as another user would there be any point in adding them both ?? Or is it a case of the more the merrier ?
    I think it is good to have photos added at regular intervals so they show how a pub changes over the years. I would also like to get some photos of pubs that are long gone in my area before I forget what they looked like !!!

Cheers,

Del.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Personally, I think having too many pictures that are virtually the same is a bit distracting. Before I upload a picture I do at least try to think if it will add any value to the page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I think it is good to have photos added at regular intervals so they show how a pub changes over the years. I would also like to get some photos of pubs that are long gone in my area before I forget what they looked like !!!
    I'm with Roger and Delboy on this one, I don't see the point of adding pic's unless they show a change in the exterior/interior or a different view or give a clearer picture than an indifferent or badly lit one. I like to see the pictures of signs and interiors as we discussed a few weeks back and I am trying to get some done.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Ooops! I should have read this before uploading all my Stamford photos today.

I am probably guilty as charged, so will look at what is on site in future.

Life is about learning though. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post

I suppose having too many is better than having none! You can always delete some of them afterwards if you think you have gone a bit O.T.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    You picked the winner:
    The Gatehouse, Highgate (49 Images)

Followed by:
    The Liberty Bounds, Fenchurch Street (43 Images)
    Ye Olde Crown, Rayleigh (40 Images)
    The Globe, Bishopsgate (37 Images)
    The Monument, Fenchurch Street (37 Images)
    The Monument seems the most OTT - you just need a single photograph of the door as the rest is underground!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post

I have to say this is exactly what I don't want to hear personally. I'll give you the sites take on it, then my personal take on it. If any of it seems abrupt, apologies, I am writing this in a bit of a rush.

Sites: You are welcome to post as many pictures as you like as long as they relate to the pub, if a picture is clearly the same as one you have previously posted (and we spot it) we will reject it. The site is there to be enjoyed by you as you enjoy using it, we only show 1 picture on the pubs front page, so it is elective to look at the sum total of pictures and possibly be overwhelmed. If people still aren't enjoying the pictures page it is for us to find a way to make it more enjoyable rather than for the posters to moderate themselves. Please, any picture posters don't feel put off, we would far rather have the problem of too many pictures than too few.

To answer Del's questions more directly, no we won't reject a picture from one person that is the same as another's, as some people enjoy reviewing every pub in a location, others enjoy photographing them, why should they not be able to post their picture just because someone else has photographed it. There is a point to adding them both, you can sort the pictures by date or user, so if there is a photographer you like you can look at their collection on a pub without them having been censored by being beaten to the post. So really the more the merrier . There is some fun things you can do with multiple images as well, we could allow them to be shown on Google maps, or try and convert them into a 3d template (Dave can you post up your Hatchet example please).

The intention is that the site is as much about the people using it as the pubs on it, so going forward I would like to allow more tools based on the users, so for instance you could output a document with all your reviews and photographs on it (You pub journal?), or have your photos preferentially shown on your pub crawls.

My take: I do believe in everything I put about the site, so I am not too bothered by what is happening. I do think some of the pubs are a little excessive, and I do think that there is a little bit of competition going on in some cases. Where they are doing that though I think the site is still benefiting overall. The struggle I also have is how do you police it? How many pictures is too many? Once you have measured that rope you tend to get hoist on it, and I would rather those users involved carried on enjoying the site, all be it in a way that sometimes makes me raise my eyebrows at work.

So I say the more pictures the merrier, just means I need to come up with a voting interface and a comments interface so that members can have more fun with the pictures we have. I still would like to make a game on the towns pages where you get shown a random picture and asked to guess the pub, there is some fun to be had here with our excess.

As ever feel free to disagree with me, keep it polite so you don't put anyone off though