Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manchester

Default Manchester

I'm going to be in Manchester from 19 to 22 September, and expect to have a fair bit of free time on my hands. Maldenman has kindly provided me with a starter pack list of likely pubs, to which I've a added one or two other possibilities:

MANCHESTER CENTRAL - Marble Arch, Angel, Bull's Head, City Arms, Deansgate, Old Wellington, Peveril of the Peak, Smithfield Hotel, Unicorn, Grey Horse Inn, Circus Tavern, Crown & Kettle, Queen's Arms, Bar Fringe, Briton's Protection, Dutton Hotel, Jolly Angler, Knott, Lass O' Gowrie, Hare & Hounds, Vine.
    SALFORD - Crescent, King's Arms, New Oxford.
    STOCKPORT - Arden Arms, Armoury, Crown, Old Vic, Railway.

I'm not confident of getting through this lot, but will give it a go. But are there any glaring omissions that anyone is aware of? Or are any that I've included now not really worth my attention?

Any suggestions welcome. Many thanks - Rex

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I'm going to be in Manchester from 19 to 22 September, and expect to have a fair bit of free time on my hands. Maldenman has kindly provided me with a starter pack list of likely pubs, to which I've a added one or two other possibilities:

MANCHESTER CENTRAL - Marble Arch, Angel, Bull's Head, City Arms, Deansgate, Old Wellington, Peveril of the Peak, Smithfield Hotel, Unicorn, Grey Horse Inn, Circus Tavern, Crown & Kettle, Queen's Arms, Bar Fringe, Briton's Protection, Dutton Hotel, Jolly Angler, Knott, Lass O' Gowrie, Hare & Hounds, Vine.
    SALFORD - Crescent, King's Arms, New Oxford.
    STOCKPORT - Arden Arms, Armoury, Crown, Old Vic, Railway.

I'm not confident of getting through this lot, but will give it a go. But are there any glaring omissions that anyone is aware of? Or are any that I've included now not really worth my attention?

Any suggestions welcome. Many thanks - Rex
    Early thoughts are:-

Add Port Street Beer House, Common, Cask, 57 Thomas Street, Micro Bar, Sandbar, Rising Sun, Waterhouse, Paramount, Gaslamp, Mark Addy.

Wouldn't bother with :- Queens Arms - going through a dodgy spell of ever changing landlords. Deansgate - Overpriced and beer quality/choice very suspect.

Unicorn - decent pub but poor beer quality recently
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 07-09-2011 at 08:20.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

If you are in the Oldham Street area Rex then you could check on these two for us. The Castle Hotel is an historic old place that has gone through some changes and the City Pub is one that is trying to get cask ales going.

Castle Hotel

The City Pub

They are on opposite sides of the street and very near to the Crown & Kettle and Bar Fringe which are both on your list (and worth visiting)
    Last edited by Millay; 08-09-2011 at 08:42.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Thanks for those two Clive. Now added to my list. I now have 34 pubs on my list (not including Salford and Stockport), and as my name isn't RogerB I doubt whether I'll get to them all! But I'll have fun trying!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

A few above which would make a new tour to me! last time I was in Lass o Gowrie, admittedly a while back, it was very disappointing on beer front.
    Not sure about ROB's suggestion of Paramount, decent beer choice but otherwise fairly unexceptional spoons.

Sounds like you won't make Stockport but, if you do, The Armoury is a good local with Robinsons on top form, but you'd get that in Arden Arms so Armoury may not be worth the walk up the hill. The Queens Head (little Sams pub) may be worth adding to future list for interesting architecture (& £1.60 beer), and the Magnet serves lots of choice but I've had a few in poor condition, maybe teething trouble first time. nb opening times at Olde Vic but I really like it there, if I ever leave the Crown.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Not sure about ROB's suggestion of Paramount, decent beer choice but otherwise fairly unexceptional spoons.
    Agreed, but the best beer choice and quality of all the JDWs in Manchester and even very good staff.

It's all down to the manager that it's been in the GBG for the last couple of years and appears in the 2012 edition as well.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Not sure nowadays but The Jolly Angler used to keep the old hours, ie closes between 3 and 5:30. The Circus Tavern can have erratic hours and often shuts the doors if full....it is a tiny two bar pub with room for only a small number.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Not sure nowadays but The Jolly Angler used to keep the old hours, ie closes between 3 and 5:30.
    I was there on Friday at twenty five to six and the landlord said he'd just opened.

Thanks for all that chaps. Looks like a journey of adventure (or perhaps a voyage into the unknown) for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Thanks for all that chaps. Looks like a journey of adventure (or perhaps a voyage into the unknown) for me.
    Good to meet you yesterday Rex. Hope you managed to find Corbieres Wine Bar and I also hope that the pinball machine was working.