Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One door opens & another closes

Quote Originally Posted by teninchwheels View Post
    Yes indeed. As a local I can honestly say the Red Lion reopening has been the best thing to happen to Leytonstone in the 9 or so years we've lived here. It's not been restored to its original high Victoriana though - it's all bare bricks and floorboards with architectural salvage. After many careless owners I don't think there was much left to restore.
    Firstly welcome to our little cyber pub - always good to see new names coming through the door!

I'm glad the Red Lion has made an impact even if it has lost some of its original spendour. I'm monitoring Antic quite closely - they seem to be doing a great job with pubs in areas that really need someone to try and kick start pub revivals. I look forward to a Red Lion visit myself at some stage.

Hi, Roger - and thanks for the welcome. I used to post quite a lot on BITE as 'Albert Campion'. I gave up on that site, as many others seem to have.

Antic seem to have something sadly lacking in many chains - imagination and a genuine enthusiasm for what they're doing. The Red Lion is having a 70-odd ale festival in October!

I used to post quite a lot on BITE as 'Albert Campion'. I gave up on that site, as many others seem to have.

Antic seem to have something sadly lacking in many chains - imagination and a genuine enthusiasm for what they're doing. The Red Lion is having a 70-odd ale festival in October!
    A-Ha! I recall the name well. You'll find several of us "oldies" here in either familiar or not so familiar guises. Looks like an October Red Lion visit is on the cards. Will keep an eye out for the Festival details - I am on the Antic facebook page so I expect I will get a nudge at some stage. Maybe see you there!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I used to post quite a lot on BITE as 'Albert Campion'.
    Hi Albert/ TIW. I'd also like to welcome you to the site. I certainly remember you from the 'dark side' because of your Yorkshire connections. Hope you'll stick around and join the merry throng.

I've just twigged where I recognise your username from.You're on the blogroll of fellow blogger Olthwaite. I've actually dipped into your blog in the past. Well, well.
    Last edited by aleandhearty; 23-09-2011 at 14:12.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Hi A&H,

Ah, it's a small WWWeb alright. And Thanks for visiting me 'umble bog. Need all the visitors I can get!

And a welcome from me as well, Albert/TIW. I seem to recall we debated snob screens some while age.

Anyway, although Antic are generally a good thing, they are not all sweetness and light. There's a good chance that what they've done at the Grade II listed Old Red Lion in Kennington may well be in breach of planning regulations, in that changes have been made without getting listed building consent, or are in excess of whatever consent they may have obtained. It is possible that they will get taken to court by the council, and perhaps of lesser concern to them, CAMRA will probably remove the pub from their Heritage listing.

Hi Rex - didn't know that. Shameful.

Yes, I recall our debate - The Princess Louise! I'm boycotting Sam Smiths over their treament of the Cropton brewery. I'm sure they're trembling in their boots...

I'm boycotting Sam Smiths over their treament of the Cropton brewery. I'm sure they're trembling in their boots...
    I did the same to Fullers over their treatment of Gales, and their profits went down by almost a pound last year as a result of my direct action. That's consumer power for you.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Looks like an October Red Lion visit is on the cards. Will keep an eye out for the Festival details
    Busy-ish October for me, but if anyone gets info on this, I'd be interested in a visit.

Meanwhile, nearby, according to London drinker, Leyton Orient Supporters Club are hosting a showcase for Marble Brewery tomorrow from 17:00, feee entry.
    My attendance is not confirmed but, if I can sneak out of work (yes, you read that right!) at 16:00 & bag a few in William IV beforehand, I may find myself in search of a pint of Pint (nee Janine's One) later on.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Busy-ish October for me, but if anyone gets info on this, I'd be interested in a visit.
    My Facebook man from Antic tells me that he is in the process of building the pub's web site so should be running shortly. According to the pub's Facebook page, they mention 10 October for the beer festival. How long it lasts or what is on offer I don't know but I'll update as I find out. They are doing a £2 ale every day until then, today's is Truman's Runner.

I will be visiting my first Antic pub tonight - the Battersea Mess & Music Hall. Will be interesting to see how good they are. Always the Falcon at Clapham Junction just down the road to fall back on!
    Last edited by RogerB; 30-09-2011 at 11:13.