Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Chatter

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    And with BITE having a fresh meltdown today, I think there may be a few more on the way!
    I popped my head over the parapet earlier today and it made rather gloomy reading. I hope i'm not tempting fate by mentioning the 't' word, but the migration of all the good contributors is finite and sooner or later we're going to get some socially inadequate 's**t-for-brains' intent on stirring things up. Hopefully Conrad's contingency plan is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Actually we had 12 on other night.. surely new record?
    I think the site is just great at the moment. I'm really enjoying it. Love the banter on the forums and the listings and reviews are really starting to take off. Well done Conrad and Dave.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Bilmey! Whats went wrong with BITE? I seldomly browsing their site and their layout is bit too confusing for me. I much prefer this one.. much easier, pity about 'post town' farce..

Just occured me that I must be only PG regular on here that never been BITE member..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I popped my head over the parapet earlier today and it made rather gloomy reading. I hope i'm not tempting fate by mentioning the 't' word, but the migration of all the good contributors is finite and sooner or later we're going to get some socially inadequate 's**t-for-brains' intent on stirring things up. Hopefully Conrad's contingency plan is a good one.
    This is an oft debated point between me and Dave, I am afraid there is a limit to what we can do - but we will do our best, if only because I don't want my experience here ruined either.

We'll chat about it more as it becomes an issue, but the early barriers are that you can just ignore members (as in set it so you don't see their posts) who are annoying to you. Where someone clearly crosses the line they will be banned, and we will do our best to fend off multiple registrations, there are some tools at our disposal to do that.

I think that where I have seen communities work though it is because they have made it difficult enough that the trolls don't swarm, what has happened over at BITE is just mad. Whilst I am in flow as well, we wont be setting up a private forum for post counts, that just prohibits new blood. No problem with private zones, but the qualifier should make sense.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    You led Soupy , we followed
    Only as far as the White Horse, Oggy
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Bilmey! Whats went wrong with BITE? I seldomly browsing their site and their layout is bit too confusing for me. I much prefer this one.. much easier, pity about 'post town' farce..

Just occured me that I must be only PG regular on here that never been BITE member..
    Not quite, there are a few. FILO and Tilly-Miss spring to mind as not being mega contributors to BITE (possibly never) and bzylzy defected a long time back. That is just off the top of my head.

I think we are running out of BITE refugees slowly, so hopefully going forward there will be a lot more as well, as I would like to see this place flourish.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Not quite, there are a few. FILO and Tilly-Miss spring to mind as not being mega contributors to BITE (possibly never) and bzylzy defected a long time back. That is just off the top of my head.

I think we are running out of BITE refugees slowly, so hopefully going forward there will be a lot more as well, as I would like to see this place flourish.
    Oh FILO.. whatever happened to him, he was regular poster until for some reason he disappeared. Never mind.. he seems quite nice bloke.

I remember when I first joined PG nearly 3 years ago (didn't realise that is quick! Seems only yesterday) We would be lucky to get just one post in a day. Now we get well excess of 100, it is very promising look for PG.

Oh I got an idea, if you want to take this to next level, why not you advertise your website in CAMRA mags, newspapers and beer/pubs blogs. Just an idea.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    we wont be setting up a private forum for post counts, that just prohibits new blood. No problem with private zones, but the qualifier should make sense.
    I think you're right. I must admit I cautiously welcomed the idea initially, but I think it became counter- productive. Instead of there being a hassle free zone to diiscuss a wide range of topics, essentially it just became a place to bitch about contributions outside the private forum.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Oh I got an idea, if you want to take this to next level, why not you advertise your website in CAMRA mags, newspapers and beer/pubs blogs. Just an idea.
    It is a good idea, that costs money . Before we do that though we want to be in a slightly more robust position site wise. Hopefully the site is easy enough for you to use, but we want to make it so that we can manage it a little more easily from our end, and also so that we have something to sell the publicans so we can make more out of having more visitors.

There are some really cool ideas that have been floated, the McGraw's came up with a stormer, basically we get business cards made up to promote ourselves and then give them out to members who can leave them in pubs if they like, which is really low cost for us, and hopefully some of the members would enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    can Gill 1/2 and John Bonser be far behind?
    I actually PM'd both of them to make them aware of this Forum. I'd like to think they will sign up in due course. I think John will continue his reviews for BITE but hopefully will join in the PG Forum once he has brushed up on his Star Trek trivia.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I actually PM'd both of them to make them aware of this Forum. I'd like to think they will sign up in due course. I think John will continue his reviews for BITE but hopefully will join in the PG Forum once he has brushed up on his Star Trek trivia.
    'winchester club' is another I'd like to see..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........