Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chatter

Hybrid View

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Default Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    And with BITE having a fresh meltdown today, I think there may be a few more on the way!
    I popped my head over the parapet earlier today and it made rather gloomy reading. I hope i'm not tempting fate by mentioning the 't' word, but the migration of all the good contributors is finite and sooner or later we're going to get some socially inadequate 's**t-for-brains' intent on stirring things up. Hopefully Conrad's contingency plan is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Actually we had 12 on other night.. surely new record?
    I think the site is just great at the moment. I'm really enjoying it. Love the banter on the forums and the listings and reviews are really starting to take off. Well done Conrad and Dave.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I popped my head over the parapet earlier today and it made rather gloomy reading. I hope i'm not tempting fate by mentioning the 't' word, but the migration of all the good contributors is finite and sooner or later we're going to get some socially inadequate 's**t-for-brains' intent on stirring things up. Hopefully Conrad's contingency plan is a good one.
    This is an oft debated point between me and Dave, I am afraid there is a limit to what we can do - but we will do our best, if only because I don't want my experience here ruined either.

We'll chat about it more as it becomes an issue, but the early barriers are that you can just ignore members (as in set it so you don't see their posts) who are annoying to you. Where someone clearly crosses the line they will be banned, and we will do our best to fend off multiple registrations, there are some tools at our disposal to do that.

I think that where I have seen communities work though it is because they have made it difficult enough that the trolls don't swarm, what has happened over at BITE is just mad. Whilst I am in flow as well, we wont be setting up a private forum for post counts, that just prohibits new blood. No problem with private zones, but the qualifier should make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Whilst I am in flow as well, we wont be setting up a private forum for post counts, that just prohibits new blood. No problem with private zones, but the qualifier should make sense.
    Sorry Cornrad if this has been covered already as I am backreading some of these threads since joining.
    For me this is a key point that I am in agreement with. I gave up on the BITE forums when the admin put the protected forum out of the reach or any late comers and then only posted key site information on the protected forum.

I even had the experience of the admin slapping a BITE God for exposing protected forum information to the unworthy, which I took as quality behavior...

Therefore fully supportive of your views...
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Sorry Cornrad if this has been covered already as I am backreading some of these threads since joining.
    For me this is a key point that I am in agreement with. I gave up on the BITE forums when the admin put the protected forum out of the reach or any late comers and then only posted key site information on the protected forum.

I even had the experience of the admin slapping a BITE God for exposing protected forum information to the unworthy, which I took as quality behavior...

It is easy to be wise after the event, so this isn't a dig at any who agreed with it. But I do think a forum should be alive and welcome newcomers, people will leave forums for various reasons, and sometimes you just run out of things to chat about - so you do need new blood constantly coming in to keep things alive and interesting. A goalpost based private community like that, particularly one that was a moving target is always just on a hiding to stagnate for me and where it was so unachievable to get in it will just irritate new comers.

Going forward if we can get publicans more involved in the site I would like to give them a private corner to chat in, if they want to, which I hope is understandable. But other than that I think PM's offer the only level of privacy needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post

Was that the one on how the top twenty pubs were calculated?

If so, I have to confess it was indeed I who got the slap from chris

I didn't agree with his reasoning then and I still don't.

You are promoting me way above my station though Gann.

I only ever made BITE Fanatic. Godliness was reserved for others.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Was that the one on how the top twenty pubs were calculated?

If so, I have to confess it was indeed I who got the slap from chris

I didn't agree with his reasoning then and I still don't.

You are promoting me way above my station though Gann.

I only ever made BITE Fanatic. Godliness was reserved for others.
    I was a god once, but was demoted to Super Member - I was a little upset, but the wife didn't mind!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I was a god once, but was demoted to Super Member - I was a little upset, but the wife didn't mind!
    Never got beyond Super meself, but I do remember your reign as a godhead figure. But, wasn't it our MrB wot got the smack in the gob(d)...
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

As if pulled by some alien tractor beam, I found myself logging on to BitE just now.But that is it, balderdash and piffle don't come close. I know that some on here intend to keep a foot in either camp, I respect that, but I don't agree with them. Unless there is some major sea-change, I don't intend to go near the site again.
    It's something I've encountered twice before, in different fields of interest, I've not regretted either. Put simply, I'm too old for misplaced loyalty...
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Actually I did make Super Member briefly just before the rules changed.

Luckily the other half didn't have time to get used to it before I reverted to normal.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Default And here I am............

Hello all. Met up with Quinno in the Nags Head Reading who reminded me that here was the place to hang out!!! They actually had an absolutely STUNNING pint of Oakleaf Piston Porter on there last Sunday,a gallon was had I think !!!

I've managed to spell me handle correct this time unlike on the other channel. Tis a pity the bloke has left it go down the tubes over there but he has his ideas (or lack of!!!) and its his football and if he wants to play with it his way,well thats up to him.

I was thinking though,would it be possible to repost reviews through copy/paste from there to here but to maintain the chronology??? For example if I reviewed the Nags in 2008,could the review be listed at the correct date?? Just an idea but the regulars could really make PG somewhere to refer to if we could. The archive of reviews is whats good on BITE,you can see the peaks and troughs of landlords coming and going or pubco houses changing to freehouses etc.

Anyway glad to be along,nearly time to head for the Seven Stars,Mr Snuffys Old Ale 5.9% was rather good last night...............