Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Birmingham again...

Spritzer Swallower

Default Birmingham again...

Hi Fellow Drinkers
    Winchesterclub here !! Good to see most of the old BITE regulars are still here
    I was in Birmingham a few months back for a Militaria sale at the NEC ,so before hand i had a few hours to spend checking out the city centre pubs, i only had time to go to Old Contemptables,The Wellington,The Shakespear and the Briar Rose ,enjoyed them that much a few of us are going back up on the 1st October to have a proper day and night discovering more pubs in the area,
    Any other posters have any more recommendations for the time ahead or are we better sticking to what we know ?

all the best
    Winchesterclub
    Oh my good gawd terry

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

The Anchor in Digbeth, and The Lamp Tavern in Highgate not far from the Anchor can be well worth a look.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Spritzer Swallower

Thanks for the reply Gill, i"m sure i saw the Lamp Tavern while sitting in the cab on the way back to the NEC, dont want to be rude here, but was it a pretty run down street with a lot of empty buildings around it ?

Regards
    Winchesterclub
    Oh my good gawd terry

Go down Newhall Street into the Jewellery Quarter.

You have quality pubs like, if you are facing the Clock at the crossroads
    The Rose Villa Tavern on the crossroads itself,
    Turn left down Warstone Lane past the cemetery and you come to the Red Lion.
    Go back to the Clock, go straight over, past the Rose Villa Tavern, and keep going and, on the left hand side of the road is the Brown Lion.
    Go back to the Clock and turn right down Vyse Street, and at a junction you have the Drop Forge. Just past the Drop Forge is the Jeweller's Arms, worth going in for if the Holden's Bitter is on.
    Go back to the Drop Forge and turn right back on to Vyse Street and walk down the hill to a busy junction with traffic lights. Turn right towards the City Centre and after a few hundred yards on the left hand side of the road is the Lord Clifden.
    Come out of the Lord Clifden and walk towards the City Centre and you come to the Church, a bit past its prime but worth a pint.
    If you fancy a hike, come out of the Church and walk towards the City Centre until you come to St Chads Roman Catholic Cathedral. Turn left and near the grand building that was the City Centre Fire Station is the Bull (shut on Sundays).
    From the Bull, near what was Aston University is the Sacks of Potatoes and up Steelhouse Lane by the Victorian Law Courts is the Jekyll and Hyde. Not everyone's favourite, but I like it.

Then you are back in the heart of the City Centre.

On the way in down Newhall Street, you could try the Queens Arms, and detour into St Paul's Square to the Ropewalk, but these are so-so and only worth it if you're thirsty.

Also, you mention the Old Contemptibles. Near there is the Old Royal which is worth a pint and the 'Summer Row' Shakespeare which is now a Nicholson's pub.

I will shut up now...
    Last edited by General Staal; 31-08-2011 at 16:17.
    I'll just stay till we've won the quiz...Or taken over the world...Whichever comes first

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    The Anchor in Digbeth, and The Lamp Tavern in Highgate not far from the Anchor can be well worth a look.
    Ah, Digbeth! The Anchor, The Lamp, The White Swan and The Spotted Dog. Hennessey's has started selling real ale again, but I've not been in.

The Anchor has the best choice of ale, but I don't like the place - its just me.

My favourites in Digbeth are the White Swan and the Spotted Dog.
    I'll just stay till we've won the quiz...Or taken over the world...Whichever comes first

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I am wondering if you went past the Anchor on your way back to NEC as I cannot imagine the taxi going past the Lamp.

Do you remember if the pub was on a corner.?
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by winchesterclub View Post
    Thanks for the reply Gill, i"m sure i saw the Lamp Tavern while sitting in the cab on the way back to the NEC, dont want to be rude here, but was it a pretty run down street with a lot of empty buildings around it ?

Regards
    Winchesterclub
    Sounds like the Lamp Tavern to me. It is surrounded by factories and some empty buildings but it serves good ale. A good crawl can be had around Digbeth (its not pretty but there are some good pubs) and Hockley/Jewellery Quarter as Staaly has described.

You picked some decent pubs in the city centre but, if you have time, the Barton's Arms is definitely worth a visit (I would advise a day-time trip - it's not the kind of area I would feel comfortable in after dark but OK in the day). It became a Birmingham favourite with many of the forum posters after we visited on our big meet-up day last November. Regular buses from Carrs Lane (alongside Marks and Spencer) to Pheasey or Walsall go right past it, taking about 5 minutes.
    Waes hael!

Spritzer Swallower

Thanks for the answers both of you ,i have printed them off and they are now ready to use !
    gill i forgot to say we were in a cab going to a Curry house in Sheldon so that may be why we drove past the Lamp Tavern ?

Thanks again

Winchesterclub
    Oh my good gawd terry