Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: the york tap

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Right, I am on a one day coach trip to York next week [based Leeds area] I have never been to York, is the station easy to find? Any clues? I guess coach will chuck us off at a bus / coach station, is the rail station near or miles away?

If I find it I will give it a go, but the Minster must come first with the camera

Are there translation facilities for Southerners? Or do I just chuck "by 'eck" in now & then ?

PS, despite the Avatar I do not actually own a flat cap, so may not blend in
    Last edited by Farway; 21-10-2011 at 13:50. Reason: ps

This Space For Hire

The company already have the Pivni in York of course, which I presume they are keeping on, as well as the Euston Tap in London. They are allegedly about to open a Cider Tap adjacent to the latter. Wonder where they are looking at next?

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Right, I am on a one day coach trip to York next week [based Leeds area] I have never been to York, is the station easy to find? Any clues? I guess coach will chuck us off at a bus / coach station, is the rail station near or miles away?

If I find it I will give it a go, but the Minster must come first with the camera

It depends on which coach but the Megabus and National Xs usually stop under the city walls opposite the railway station, not sure about private hire coaches, I suspect by the railway station as well. BUT the Tap will not be open next week. From the station you walk past the big hotel then go through the arch in the walls, turn left and keep going up the hill to the Minster (The Maltings is on the right when you cross Lendal bridge).

Some coaches stop at Askham Bar which has a park and ride bus into the city centre, others go to Piccadilly which is almost in the middle of the old city and a shortish walk to the Minster. The Blue Bell is the best pub near Piccadilly and there are several good ones near the Minster, the Three Legged Mare, and the Guy Fawkes for example.

It's much easier to find by train from Leeds

Are there translation facilities for Southerners? Or do I just chuck "by 'eck" in now & then ?

Just shout clearly and slowly and they'll probably get it, you could also say "eh oop, lad" quite often.

PS, despite the Avatar I do not actually own a flat cap, so may not blend in
    Perhaps you could borrow one and a whippet would also help.

This was an issue for me when I went to York last year. I thought that saying "arrr mooch" whenever I was asked for money might help me to blend in, but I think I gave the game away whenever I said "and take that sparkler off please".

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Thanks OB & Rex

Latest picture: http://yfrog.com/klh79jrj

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Thanks Old Boots. I am really looking forward to my December trip up there now as they should be open and everything settled down getting ready for Christmas. Found them on twitter so can keep up to date there too.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    This was an issue for me when I went to York last year. I thought that saying "arrr mooch" whenever I was asked for money might help me to blend in, but I think I gave the game away whenever I said "and take that sparkler off please".
    You'll never blend in up north Rex, as long as you persist in wearing a coat when it isn't raining or below 10C.

Latest news from Yan

"big progress today, the scaffold is down and the bar is starting to go into place............"

and from Ikley Brewery

"Half of the batch of our specialty beer for the launch @YorkTap, Tap3 has now been dry-hopped... Northern Clout indeed!"

It's progressing nicely,

Attachment 649Attachment 650

here's one of the inside from Yan

http://twitpic.com/772v9v