Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A moan about some real ale pubs...

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    the Milds even better
    First came across it in The Plough, Worcester. Would easily make my Top 5 Milds. Beautiful stuff.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Hobsons - class. I think it is on a par with Holdens, Enville and the great Bathams. These Summer ales are ok for a pint but there is an overkill on them, dark beers have far more taste in my opinion and good to see MILD getting a mention from my esteemed colleagues on PG.

MILD is for life, not just May
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    MILD is for life, not just May
    I may have to start legal action against you for that comment Soup ala Sam Smiths.

It's far too easily confused with my strapline, and I own it, not you and (stamps feet at this point) it's not fair!!!!
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 22-08-2011 at 10:46.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I may have to start legal action against you for that comment Soup ala Sam Smiths.

It's far too easliy confused with my strapline, and I own it, not you and (stamps feet at this point) it's not fair!!!!
    I refute the allogation, Sir. I never copy anyone and you are getting paranoid. By the way, Conrad, can you change my name to CAMRARob please?
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Hobsons - class. I think it is on a par with Holdens, Enville and the great Bathams.
    Wot no Highgate!?
    Waes hael!

Highgate is beautiful stuff, too. Shame the brewery has been having more downs than ups in recent years.

I do wonder if the current obsession that many small brewers are having with extremely bitter beers is creating this new appretiation of 'proper' ales with more subtle flavours?

I feel a sense of loyalty to Highgate as the brewery is based in my home town ..... but the Two Towers Mott Street Mild I had in the Brown Lion in Hockley today was mighty fine
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Looking at this thread and the Changing taste... thread, I sense a renaisance of interest in brown bitters. I do enjoy pale 'n' hoppy as a freshener, but find the darker types more complex.
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ71 View Post
    I do wonder if the current obsession that many small brewers are having with extremely bitter beers is creating this new appretiation of 'proper' ales with more subtle flavours?
    I wonder if the demise of Tetleys is having an effect at some level? A case of valuing what you've got before it disappears.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    I feel a sense of loyalty to Highgate as the brewery is based in my home town ..... but the Two Towers Mott Street Mild I had in the Brown Lion in Hockley today was mighty fine
    Two Towers is one of my favourite beers at the moment. The Brown Lion is becoming one of my favourite pubs. Not pretty to look at inside, but very friendly and people are more than willing to talk to you. If you're in there, try the Jewellery Porter. But not all night! Its strong stuff and is one of the only ales that I can remember that gave me a hangover the following day. But lovely for one or two.

Having said that, I also like the Baskerville Bitter and Hockley Gold...

Went into the Queslett yesterday and what were their real ales - Jaipur IPA, Fuller's IPA, Pedigree Pale Ale and Brew XI. For an Ember Inn, the Queslett used to have a nice range of beer. It was all well kept, but it was a choice of a pale ale, or a pale ale or a Bitter...