Visit the The Good Stuff site

Probably the*first thing that got me reading Nigel Slater was his near-obscene love of leftovers. For a while now he’s championed the treats that can be conjured up with a simple fridge-raid, and I can’t agree more. There’s something challenging about looking at a piece of meat and mentally coming up with two – maybe three – dishes to come from it. It’s not even about being frugal, despite what the press might say. It’s about using everything to the max, and having a well-stocked storecupboard to help along the way.
Take Belly Pork, for example. You really can’t go wrong with a slice of Belly Pork; a perfect meat for leftovers if there ever was one. Lunch consisted of a rubbed-with-paprika-and-rosemary slice, sliced again and served with potatoes and some Black Pudding. Just something for one; four hours really low in the oven with a little water and then 30 minutes high at the end to crisp up. But on Monday those cold slices did me proud.
I make this all the time; there’s something not quite right about it unless you use leftover Pork. I guess it’s inspired by the Morcilla and Rice dishes that are so popular in Spain; it’s easy to make and mega, mega tasty. Cook up some Rice, drain and leave to cool. Slice off the outer skin, then cube your Belly Pork. If you have leftover Black Pudding, as I did, then cube that – otherwise just cook some off.
In a dry, hot pan, saute your pork. You’ll find that the fat will be enough to cook it, so don’t add more oil or fat unless you really need to. Add the Black Pudding and crisp up. Finally, add the rice. Once you get the rice coated in all the Porky, Black Pudding-y goodness, season with a pinch of Mild Chilli Powder and*Smoked Paprika.
Liberally douse the Rice with Green Tabasco Sauce*(Essential for this, I’d say) and enjoy. The contrast in flavour is what makes this so toe-curlingly good; the crispy, peppery Pudding, the sweet Pork and the vinegary-citrus hit of the Tabasco. It’s one of those dishes you wish you made more of once you’ve snaffled it all.
Maybe the Spanish theme got me in the mind of a cold Cruzcampo (my favourite mainstream Spanish Beer) to round things off. But, alas, I didn’t have any. What I did have, however, was an Organic Lager (4.5%abv) from Laverstoke Park; which I bought purely on a whim on account of its cute label. Upon further reading, Laverstoke Park*are Organic heavy-hitters; they do an ale, too, brewed with all with their own ingredients (For you fact-fans, a little digging revealed it to be owned by one-time petrolhead Jody Sheckter). To be honest, It really wasn’t bad at all -**some creamy malt on the nose, with a nice firm, biscuity body. The finish is as clean as you’d like, and slightly sweet, with a slightly flinty/lemony edge. I’d quite happily drink more of it – although this time I might remember to take a picture of it! Apologies for the standard web-capture.
So there you go. One of my favourite Leftover feasts. What are yours?

More...