Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not A Fan Of Wetherspoons? Check This Out!

I wouldn't want to upset Hoppy but just spotted my photo in the current 'Spoons mag - page 20 under "Visit a victory for ale-lovers". That's me, the tall one in the centre at the very back, in front of the vat, wearing a white t-shirt. You'll need a microscope though. Mrs B is a couple of faces to the right tucked in behind the baldy bloke! It was bloody cold in there!

I was reading this morning that Green King will try to appeal more to the 30 yrs + female .Pink toilets, glossy mags, toiletrys ,bigger wine glasses and drinks which have feminine appeal. It may also appeal to those chaps wishing to make closer contact with their feminine side.
    I think GK is looking for a niche market that is probably already catered for. Ladettes know they want cheap booze and access to chaps and music. The Hunter/ Killer type of 30yrs plus female can be found in the same places looking for much the same. I use the term H/K because they are normally more single minded in what they want and are not side tracked into competing with men as happens with the younger ones.
    Another group of 30+ females are to be found in groups of three or four ( I see few pairs these days) and are often found out for a meal sharing a bottle of white or rose' wine in a smaller food orientated venue. They enjoy themselves in a quiet manner and will never be found ratted in the gutter or the local A&E. Neither can I see them in the local Hungry Horse. JDWs however seem to attract a number but not later in the evening.
    Never mind chaps on a quiet night at your GK local you can always read out the Problem Page in Cosmopolitan to pass the time. If the walls are pink you are definitely in the wrong one.

Now for something different.....As I was being chased out of the local supermarket with bottles of none discounted beer in my trolley I stopped to look at the front page of the Malvern Gazette.( the Store Detective really must have his hernia op,he cannot catch a cold at the moment). It would appear that JDWs have taken over the Folley Arms, Worcester Road, Malvern . No reviews on PG at the moment.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Now for something different.....As I was being chased out of the local supermarket with bottles of none discounted beer in my trolley I stopped to look at the front page of the Malvern Gazette.( the Store Detective really must have his hernia op,he cannot catch a cold at the moment). It would appear that JDWs have taken over the Folley Arms, Worcester Road, Malvern . No reviews on PG at the moment.
    Is that the one thats been on the news this week , staff informed on day of closure , it was closing by fax .
    Went in there years ago when it was a GBG pub , ok but slightly upmarket , suppose it will be slightly down market soon

Probabably that one Oggwyn. Not been to Malvern for a few years, to flippin hilly. When I drove past it the place looked like an upmarket hotel with pricey motors in its small roadside car park. I should imagine the views from the rear windows could be quiet impressive.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Probabably that one Oggwyn. Not been to Malvern for a few years, to flippin hilly. When I drove past it the place looked like an upmarket hotel with pricey motors in its small roadside car park. I should imagine the views from the rear windows could be quiet impressive.
    I have not been drinking in Malvern in years , its not just the hills , for what is basically a small town its spread over such a wide area (well maybe long and narrow)

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    I wouldn't want to upset Hoppy but just spotted my photo in the current 'Spoons mag - page 20 under "Visit a victory for ale-lovers". That's me, the tall one in the centre at the very back, in front of the vat, wearing a white t-shirt. You'll need a microscope though. Mrs B is a couple of faces to the right tucked in behind the baldy bloke! It was bloody cold in there!
    I just saw photo! You lucky sod! Twice I was photographed but never made to Wetherspoon mag..

Maybe 3rd time lucky eh?
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Lets face it Hoppy you are just not Celebrity material. I mean when were you last seen in "Hello" or "Time Out" or even "The Dog Breeders Gazette". Roger has that something that the man from Tamworth lacks.( Or the bloke from Bromyard come to that).

Default Calling all JDW lovers..

I just found this website http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ccaajpa/pubs-spoons.html

It lists every JDW in UK
    New JDWs opening soon
    Closed JDWs

All are up to date.

I have bookmarked this into my favourites bar..

Hoppy
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Merged the threads where this link was mentioned, Rogerb pointed it out back in post #6.