Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Residents in protest against new JDW opening

Default Residents in protest against new JDW opening

http://icseftonandwestlancs.icnetwor...name_page.html

I know JDW promotes cheap alcohol but I never known any troubles at my local JDWs (Apart from odd drunks shouting or odd square ups) There is high ratio of OAPS to young drinkers nationwide in JDWs.

Just like The Hornet which I visited last Tuesday, I was most certainly the youngest in the room and I am 31! Most drinkers are well over 50. It is only Fri and Sat where young drinkers take over JDW's. I avoid Fri & Sat nite and I go to my local instead.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Real Ale Drinker

It seems everyone is against people drinking,you only have to watch the new drink campaign being rammed down our throats on tv, if boozing was that bad and causing so many ailments to people why is it allowed in the first place,this government wants each and everyone of us to become prisoners and unsociable people in our own home,feed us lousy cheap tv programmes,make stars and celebrities out of the useless lot that appear daily in the press,is it any wonder the country is going to the dogs.

“Their plans are of high quality, but it would be bar 38 in the area and we already think 37 is too much."

if they want less pubs then spoons may well get rid off the weaker ones
    Last edited by hondo; 11-02-2010 at 13:42.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

I think there is opposition to a JDWs project in Leominster. I remember them buying the closed Post Office building in The Square. The local Conservative Club would have been a couple of doors down so I think there may have been some bristling moustaches.. A Spoons in Leominster would certainly affect some struggling pubs in town.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

JDW have been trying to open up in Newport , Shropshire for years , the council are opposed to it as there are already 11 pubs on the main street (or just off) in a smallish town .
    Strangely there is only 1 in Telford which is pretty big these days (pop about 120000) , Wellington could do with 1 to raise the standard of the dire pubs and kill off the really bad ones
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    JDW have been trying to open up in Newport , Shropshire for years , the council are opposed to it as there are already 11 pubs on the main street (or just off) in a smallish town .
    Strangely there is only 1 in Telford which is pretty big these days (pop about 120000) , Wellington could do with 1 to raise the standard of the dire pubs and kill off the really bad ones
    120,000?! surley thats total population for WHOLE Telford including surrounding areas. Not Telford City itself?

Anyway.. seriously there is 11 pubs on Main St in Newport alone? I know Newport is small town but 11 pubs...

Lichfield, Staffs has population of only around 27,000 but already got 2 JDWs plus 4 superb real ale houses and all are walkable each other..

In my hometown, We got 2 JDWs including one recently opened.. only problem is both JDWs are few mins walk each other!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

http://www.telford.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyr...ctober2008.pdf

Take a quick look Hoppy I think they are going at it hammer and tongs in the Telford area

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    http://www.telford.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyr...ctober2008.pdf

Take a quick look Hoppy I think they are going at it hammer and tongs in the Telford area
    Thanks for the link, Sir..

Wow.. I find it quite incredible since Telford was very small town around 40 years ago.. and now already outstripping my hometown!

I think they do deserve another JDW.. one JDW is simply not enough for the size of Telford.

I have said before - here and elsewhere - that having one JD Wetherspoon covering the whole Medway area - Golden Lion, Rochester - is pretty abysmal, given the rising population of the towns. The High Streets of Gillingham and Chatham have naff all – and that’s the truth, sadly. OK, we have a few decent tucked-away backstreet pubs, - well, Gillingham does. Chatham? Not so sure about that - but we need some more real ale outlets desperately and Tim Martin and Co could really do great business down this way.

Quote Originally Posted by HTM69 View Post
    I have said before - here and elsewhere - that having one JD Wetherspoon covering the whole Medway area - Golden Lion, Rochester - is pretty abysmal, given the rising population of the towns. The High Streets of Gillingham and Chatham have naff all – and that’s the truth, sadly. OK, we have a few decent tucked-away backstreet pubs, - well, Gillingham does. Chatham? Not so sure about that - but we need some more real ale outlets desperately and Tim Martin and Co could really do great business down this way.
    Oh dear.. I just had look in Wikipedia... 253,500 for one JDW! Thats pretty incredible!

Why not you write in JDW's mag and you never know Tim Martin might reply...

Hoppy