Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Football Crazy

Default Football Crazy

I know there's a lot of footy fans on PG, and good luck to the guy but this sort of thing would make me find another pub pretty sharpish,

"Pubs continue to come up with ingenuous ways to make the most of the sporting calendar. The one that grabbed my attention recently was Marston’s tenant Tim Baker who has installed his very own four-tier stand at the Roebuck in Marchwood, Hampshire. Not surprisingly, going the extra mile for his sports-mad customers has seen turnover double to £10,000 a week. It cost about £10,000 to install his stand, but certainly makes a statement about the pub’s commitment to the best possible sports coverage."

from Paul Charity's column in the Morning Advertiser full story here

If I was just going to the pub specifically watch a match I think I would quite fancy it as a bit of a novelty. I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of it though to see how intrusive it actually is.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    who has installed his very own four-tier stand at the Roebuck in Marchwood, Hampshire.
    I should imagine it whiffs a bit if everybody goes for a pee at the back.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Well I'm buggered, right near my daughter's, they reckoned pub was not up to much though whenever I have passed it with them

Are you aware the Scummers practice ground is there as well? Which probably may help to explain it, maybe get the groupies & WAGS in there?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Doesn't appeal to me I must admit, but if it gets them a good crowd and keeps them in business fair play.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

To be honest i dont like sitting down to watch football , its one of the reasons i stopped going and when i`m in the pub i prefer to prop up the bar so it`s no use to me , on the other hand if they installed a small section of terracing with crush barriers to lean against and the smell of pipe tobacco and bovril wafting around !!!! Sorry getting all nostalgic again

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Well I'm buggered, right near my daughter's, they reckoned pub was not up to much though whenever I have passed it with them

Are you aware the Scummers practice ground is there as well? Which probably may help to explain it, maybe get the groupies & WAGS in there?
    I went to Weston-Super-Mare V Dorchester once and all the WAGS for WSM were seated in front of us - the club wanted to do a calendar with them all in - sadly, there were only 5 to start with and 3 went for a cup of tea within 10 mins of KO - mind you, i went for a cup after 15 mins!
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    To be honest i dont like sitting down to watch football
    Yeah, don't like the thought of sitting in a pub in that way, one of the things I like about watching in a pub is that you get a nice mix of rival fans and so there is usually a bit of banter going. Having seating like that would ruin the atmosphere in the same way it does at grounds.

I wonder how they managed to increase turnover so much. Do you think perhaps they take advantage of the fact people are sat down by selling them pies and stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    the club wanted to do a calendar with them all in
    I knew a WSM WAG a few years back, cant think that she'd have done that though. Must investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I went to Weston-Super-Mare V Dorchester!
    Ahhh thats blast from the past.. I used go to WSM many years ago when Tamworth was in same division as WSM and Dorchester. Interesting fact as WSM is that they never been relegated since its formation in 1887!

(nudge nudge Tamworth and Bristol City you can learn from WSM..)
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I knew a WSM WAG a few years back, cant think that she'd have done that though. Must investigate.
    One of my close friends who know England Rugby player Mike Tindall and has met Zara Phillips. Even He sat next to her at Twickenham two years ago and showed me photo as proof..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/