Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Riots.

The police cordon has been in place outside the Barton's Arms all day now - it makes me think that something serious has occurred
    Waes hael!

Fortunately, for me at the very least, E Dorset has been pretty well insulated to date. None the less, on Tuesday afternoon I spent a very embarrasing ten minutes sat in a local pub having a quiet drink with visitors from New Zealand. They were genuinely shocked and I was both mortified and mystified by the images on the TV. I was unable to offer any tenable explanation for what I was seeing.

I'm in my 75th year, this is my country, the one I revere, have carried arms for. I love it, probably beyond life. There is no excuse, it is theft and thuggery, no more, no less. Words fail me, I'm overwhelmed by disgust, both by the events and by the constant excuses for it.

Rant over.

Sorry about me sporadic support of the site recently, but me health and the afore mentioned years have weighed heavy. Lately I'm more used to popping pills than supping ale. This too will change

Have one fer yerself, lads and lasses

But, beware, I ain't dead yet..........
    Last edited by runningdog; 11-08-2011 at 21:23.
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Could be fun around here on Saturday , EDL are holding a march in Wellington near a mostly Muslim area with tensions already running high in the area and Telford are playing Luton just round the corner , instead of calling the game off the police have put it back to 19 45 so the towns going to be full of pissed up Luton fans , i am staying in on Saturday
    You'll be pleased to know that the game has now been called off.

But I think the phrase you were looking for was pissed off, not pissed up, as this link will show. Or this one. (Apologies to anyone who doesn't care about football.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Bit like Running Dog, all quite in Hampshire, except for a few doughnuts arrested for tweeting & trying to set up riot in Bournemouth, must be simple in the head, riots in Bournemouth? Plus a trio from Southampton

The only fire has been Harry Redknaps proposed property empire burnt down on Monday, it was stressed it was nothing to do with rioting, and Harry was not in the area with matches either [ for those not in know, Harry has trouble with Planning permission on the adjoining site]

Excerpt from News comments section, no truth in it at all of course
    Police are looking for a middle aged man with a heavy cockney accent muttering under his breath 't'rific' and 'down to the bare bones'.

PS the Daily Mash take on it Looters return stuff to Games Workshop
    Last edited by Farway; 12-08-2011 at 14:10. Reason: PS

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I have heard that Eddie in the Lamp Tavern, Birmingham got hurt and spent a night in hospital. We will go there tomorrow as a few at Worcester beer festival today were concerned about him. Front window of the pub smashed I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    The police cordon has been in place outside the Barton's Arms all day now - it makes me think that something serious has occurred
    I found this link about what happened:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/n...ters_1_2958371
    Waes hael!

I remember Luton Town, didn't they used to be a football team?
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I found this link about what happened:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/n...ters_1_2958371
    I contacted the Barton's Arms. The staff are all OK and it should re-open this Friday.

Birmingham Mail also picked up the story http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...7319-29227366/
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 14-08-2011 at 10:02.
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Just returned from two weeks in Cornwall. One of the joys of camping is that the pace of life tends to slow right down, including limited access to the media. You can imagine our surprise when we eventually heard about all the rioting, it just seemed unbelievable.

There have been some dreadful stories about people being attacked and losing everything, but I still couldn't help feeling angry about The Barton Arms.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I contacted the Barton's Arms. The staff are all OK and it should re-open this Friday.

Birmingham Mail also picked up the story http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...7319-29227366/
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-14601228

The footage, which has been released by the police to encourage members of the public to come forward, shows a group in the Newtown area late on 9 August.

The group, all masked and all wearing black clothing, caused extensive damage at the Barton Arms pub.

"This investigation is being treated as attempted murder and arson"

I've been all for throwing the book at rioters and this just reinforces my view. Little fuckers.