Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 24 Jan 2010)

Well I've finally managed to have a beer this week, it was a Thames Valley Ale, nice enough but may get displaced by a Doom Bar tomorrow as my BotW.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8107 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	220 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	139

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Rob - my mate the HB from Breconshire Brewery is judging tomorrow, at which point I'll be in, I think, the marbles?

Fancy meeting for a pint later in the afternoon?
    Sorry Eddie I've only just read this. We had an early start on the Wednesday as we had to have a full greasy spoon breakfast at the Abergeldie cafe to clear the palate before getting to the festival at 12:15.

I was the bloke in a Pike brewery Amber Ale T shirt.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Sorry Eddie I've only just read this. We had an early start on the Wednesday as we had to have a full greasy spoon breakfast at the Abergeldie cafe to clear the palate before getting to the festival at 12:15.

I was the bloke in a Pike brewery Amber Ale T shirt.
    Lol, I was the bloke in the Breconshire Brewery polo shirt, with far too much hair and a taste for the barley wine bar.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

and a taste for the barley wine bar.
    Pub crawl > Winter Ale 'fest > Barley Wine bar ...
    I don't think I'd've surfaced 'til February!

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Pub crawl > Winter Ale 'fest > Barley Wine bar > Selection of 6%+ bottles on way back inc. 1845...
    I don't think I'd've surfaced 'til February!
    We were celebrating! Best bit - not the slightest headache the next morning - back in the pub finishing off painting the cellar

Best bit - not the slightest headache the next morning ...
    ... Grrr! You young'uns - won't always be like that you know! Mind you, one of our usual suspects never seems to suffer, whereas my hangovers are getting worse and lasting longer.
    After my pal's double gallon stag day in York, I took the Ray Winston preventive BEFORE BED (per Morrissey's Perfect Pint) which is rehydration salts (dioralyte isn't for drinking dehydration, but what the heck), two ibuprofen, and water, also a resolve, sod it. I'll tell you, not too bad next day (probably just still p1ssed), though a 10-pint debrief had me really suffering for the next few days after that.
    I guess that ramble belonged in a separate hangover - do you get them - what to do - thread. Is there one yet?

I'm pretty sure painting a cellar wouldn't be high on my list of cures, but good luck for the re-opening Eddie.

Having to attend something official like this morning in Hereford I thought I might spend my free time taking a few photos and some reviews.Rain so to speak stopped play.Visited JDW Kings Fee for a coffee, The Lichfield Vaults for a pint of Deuchars 80, Golden Fleece for a Half of keg Banks Bitter ( no hand pumps and pub to let) finally a pint of Marstons Imperial back at the Kings Fee. Feeling soggy I was fast loosing interest or lacking moral fibre. The bus time table said I could leave in a few minutes or wait and go back to Bromyard in 3 hours time on a bus overloaded with students of all ages. The nerves finally snapped and I legged it for the next bus.
    I can remember country buses being retired coaches or comfy Midland Red purpose built single deckers.Now we have Optare (?) coaches. Hard seats and real bone shakers.The interior trim rattles something awful. I was REALLY looking forward to arriving in Bromyard after half an hour. AT LAST,off the bus straight through the bar of the Kings Arms with a shout of "Pint of Hobsons I'll be back in a sec." Oh the relief !
    May be not a disaster of Hoppy's Harbourne Adventure scale but I returned back home feeling disgruntled and promising myself a a day in Worcester when the finances suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    promising myself a a day in Worcester when the finances suffice.
    Dragon Inn & Plough sound like fine places to while away a day...

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Dragon Inn & Plough sound like fine places to while away a day...
    They are, plus add the Swan With Two Nicks, The Saracens Head and maybe The Talbot and also try Hand In Glove you might like it.

Personally I'd give the Cardinals Hat a miss but if you like Austrian lager bars......
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I "know" most of these recommended pubs but with Lynne being in a wheel chair for almost 4 yrs I did not have the chance to visit. Now I haven't got my best mate I will get around to visiting these smaller places. Worcester has some great pubs and the back streets can be full of surprises. ( must remember country buses are not easy on the bladder may have to get a colostomy bag.)