Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 24 Jan 2010)

I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't had a single beer this week yet, not even any of my Air Miles continental lagers (Mrs B has placed too much salad in the frdige's beer compartment and I won't touch them at room temperature!).

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

ever the professional Roger

OB wont touch his 78% Abbey du Pee until he finds his bottle opener
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    OB wont touch his 78% Abbey du Pee until he finds his bottle opener
    it's fear not lack of a bottle opener. I actually have a bottle opener in most rooms in the house just in case, can't be too careful. I have drunk the 12% Westvlerten I bought in Amsterdam very nice it was too but I refuse

point blank to do tasting notes as there's nothing more tedious.

It's no good. Mrs B has sent a text saying she's going out. I can't sit here and starve. 'Spoons Curry and copious ales are awaiting. Several beers of the week, here I come.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I actually have a bottle opener in most rooms in the house just in case, can't be too careful.
    Nah, you gotta do better'n that, bootsie, Carry one on yer keyring, mate, works every time. Follow Flogger, you know it make sense...
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Well that was a lucky dip at 'Spoons - there was a Meet The Brewer night going on with a guy from Hogs Back that I knew nothing about so a few free samples were gratefully accepted. As for Beer of the Week - I now have a front runner that I don't think I will top and it ain't a Hogs Back beer!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    Well that was a lucky dip at 'Spoons - there was a Meet The Brewer night going on with a guy from Hogs Back that I knew nothing about so a few free samples were gratefully accepted. As for Beer of the Week - I now have a front runner that I don't think I will top and it ain't a Hogs Back beer!
    Which 'Spoons May I ask?
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Which 'Spoons May I ask?
    The Hogs Back session was at the Paper Moon, Dartford but my BOTW was at the Flying Boat.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    The Hogs Back session was at the Paper Moon, Dartford but my BOTW was at the Flying Boat.
    Just had look at picture of Flying Boat, quite interesting building and bit deco like if I must admit.

Paper Moon... hmmm not sure about the building but I have seen worse!
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    Just had look at picture of Flying Boat, quite interesting building and bit deco like if I must admit.

Paper Moon... hmmm not sure about the building but I have seen worse!
    Both have their history - the Flying Boat was part of a factory that built the floats for Sunderland Flying Boats during the war hence the name. The now demolished rear section was once a roller skating rink and Randolph Churchill (dad of Winston) once made a famous speech there. It was a car showroom for many years before becoming a rather nasty Litten Tree. 'Spoons were going to turn it into a Lloyds bar but because of the Litten Tree history they were only given a limited licence and it opened as a normal 'Spoons in June last year after a rather grand refurbishment - money well spent if you ask me. Initially the ale choice was a bit hit and miss but they are now getting their act together. The Paper Moon was our original 'Spoons in what was formerly a Lloyds Bank. The building that you're not so sure about was built by the same person that built Guildford Cathedral. The paper element relates to Dartford's historic paper industry. Tonight they had 2 Hogs Back Ales, 2 Whitstable Ales, a White Horse ale, the unique Flying Moon Ale (only found in the 2 Dartford 'Spoons) and the usual Ruddles, Abbots etc. Works for me!