Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 24 Jan 2010)

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Any beer i get this week will be my top choice, as the wife is away and i have the kids - except for a John Smiths shandy at a family party, needless to say, family or not, i left after one round

Kids will be eating at the White Horse tomorrow though, i am beginning to have withdrawal symptoms
    MILD:

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    except for a John Smiths shandy at a family party
    Good God. It must have been like drinking hemlock.Your family sound remarkably cruel. The family surname isn't Borgia by any chance, is it Soupy?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    i am beginning to have withdrawal symptoms
    Tell me about it! Ever since that Burntwood so called pub crawl.. and money running low. My next pay day will be on this monday and may hit Derby on 26th (Day after London day trip) or I have few trips planned..
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Must be good stuff this Hophead. There are too many people whose judgement I trust* who rave about it.
    I think you'll like it when you finally track some down a&h - it's not dissimilar to Oakham JHB and, at the same 3.8%, a cracking session beer, especially refreshing in warmer weather (I suppose!).

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Naaaah, sadly they clearly do not celebrate the art of MILD making - the barmaid looked puzzled when i said, "much as it pains me - can i have that in a shandy to give it some flavour" - i think she thought i wanted the JS neat! the next tap was Carling, there didnt seem to be much else - shocking!
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    No doubt I'll get jumped on by ROBCamra and 'oldboots' for saying this, but I've never seen any Dark Star beers locally either. I've just been on the Dark Star website and apparently Hophead is made with Cascade hops, so that should be right up my street.
    Hmmmmm!, I'm not going to risk jumping on you a&h but.....

Plenty of Dark Star in the Dale as occasional guests, including Hophead & Coffee Porter just before Xmas.

I have to agree that Hophead is a fine beer, although the porter was great in a very different way.

As for my beer of this week. Well as my National Winter Ales judging session is tomorrow I hope I'm going to be stuck for choice. perhaps a couple more
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 19-01-2010 at 10:46.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I think you'll like it when you finally track some down a&h - it's not dissimilar to Oakham JHB and, at the same 3.8%, a cracking session beer, especially refreshing in warmer weather (I suppose!).
    I know our tastes in beer are pretty similar 'tm', so I'm convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Hmmmmm!, I'm not going to risk jumping on you a&h but.....
    You'd probably bounce off! I guess it's the usual thing of being in the right place at the right time.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    As for my beer of this week. Well as my National Winter Ales judging session is tomorrow I hope I'm going to be stuck for choice. perhaps a couple more
    Now, you're just trying to make us jealous aren't you. Enjoy it though and let us know your favourites.

Rob - my mate the HB from Breconshire Brewery is judging tomorrow, at which point I'll be in, I think, the marbles?

Fancy meeting for a pint later in the afternoon?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well finished off my after-christmas supply of bottled Festivity, and it looks like I am probably not getting any drink this weekend. So I will get in a bit early and say that is going to be my beer of the week.